586,061 active members*
4,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > is an ATC possible for my Perske 3PH 5HP wood CNC router spindle?

is an ATC possible for my Perske 3PH 5HP wood CNC router spindle?

i have attached the data plate picture from my Perske spindle, if needed.
    i would like to upgrade my machine to ATC, but can't find anything available that will mount right on...
    as an alternative, if somebody has a 4KW or down to a 3HP ATC spindle they would trade... as long as my 3PH 220V VFD will drive it...

i am just getting sick of manual changes, even when doing test signs and such. as the machine is not yet making me much money, i don't have a lot to spend... but TAX return season is coming...

maybe i am just dreaming, but i love to dream big.

as another alternative, is there a way somebody could machine out an ATC adapter for my Perske? i would likely have to make a alignment plate to mount the adapter and spindle in excellent alignment... there is room on my Z-axis, and it already has a stepper brake, so the resting weight of the ATC shouldn't be an issue, i don't think.

~Travis
    Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller.
    about 48 X 48 X 5 inch working, Makita RF1101

Re: is an ATC possible for my Perske 3PH 5HP wood CNC router spindle?

Well you could take out a second mortgage on your house and buy a Perske ATC spindle, then it would bolt right on.

But to stay within a reasonable budget you are most likely going to be looking at the eBay 3kW ATC spindles. All of those seem to be round, 100mm diameter. I didn't search for the 100mm spindle mounting bracket, but they are available.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

think this one is worth saving (very slowly) for?
    https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Spi.../dp/B091CJH9LH

i have a VFD already...

~Travis

this is my spindle: https://www.cncpd.com/product/perske...spindle-motor/
    well, not MINE exactly, but the same model and collet. anybody want to buy my spindle so i can afford an ATC spindle? i have 1/2" and 1/4" collets for it.

~Travis

Quote Originally Posted by travis_farmer View Post
    think this one is worth saving (very slowly) for?
    https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Spi.../dp/B091CJH9LH

i have a VFD already...

~Travis
    That looks like an OK motor. Should work for you. Is your VFD capable of at least 600Hz?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hmmm, maybe i will save for the one with the VFD... just realized my VFD is only a 4KW... and i can't find the model number right now, so no idea on max frequency. i don't think it was 600Hz (4KW HY 220V). maybe 400Hz, rings a bell.

one of these days, my machine will be just what i want. but that will be after i die...

~Travis

There are bolt-on ATC adapters for regular MTC spindles but the ones I have seen max out at 2.2kw.

More importantly, they are all either awful or too expensive to be worth it compared to just buying a Chinese ATC spindle.

All these ATC "adapters" really are is another (small and crappy) spindle with a draw-bar driven by your existing spindle.

There are a few examples of people making clever ATC mechanisms for MTC spindles though. E.g.:

I've also seen a Chinese company offer "ATC" by installing 4 MTC spindles (on pneumatic slides) on one cnc router.

It's cool but, unless your time is worth nothing you'll probably conclude that it's not worth the effort.... I could do a lot of manual tool changes in the time it would take me to make that.

ATC is one of those things that pays for itself when it's necessary - i.e. For business where you're making the same part over and over. It's hard to justify for occasional hobby parts.

ATC is one of those things that pays for itself when it's necessary - i.e. For business where you're making the same part over and over. It's hard to justify for occasional hobby parts.
    as i plan to make a business out of my machine, it is my hope that the whole machine will pay for itself, eventually.

the greatest hardship is that i currently have just a non-full-time $14 per hour job that i am trying to fund everything with. hence why i was hoping to sell the spindle to help pay for the ATC spindle. and now i really have the ATC bug in my head, and it is all i can think about, as i think about the last few times busting a knuckle on the machine, changing out a bit.
    thinking of either going with a carousel or chain tool holder system. depends on how much money i have available after i get the ATC spindle...

heck, if somebody bought my 5HP spindle, i would even throw in my HY VFD free, as it wouldn't really work with the new spindle anyway... i would certainly have to build a small crate to ship it all safely... i would hate to ship something, and have it show up damaged... maybe i will try selling through local sales first... see what turns up.

~Travis

Do you have a tool length sensor / plate?

A very worthwhile accessory that doesn't cost much.

The biggest time in changing tools is getting Z offset / tool length offset correct - automate this
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

yes, i do have a tool length sensor. i really should check it for repeatability sometime too. i think it claimed 0.01 repeatability, or better, but i am skeptical, until i check for sure.
    and i already have an automated M6 remap in LinuxCNC to take care of it.

~Travis