586,060 active members*
4,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Shars 440V Vise, accuracy and table keys.

Shars 440V Vise, accuracy and table keys.

I just received my Shars 440V vise. I know most suggest the Glacern, and it certainly looks very nice, but after shipping the Shars came out to be about $50.00 cheaper.

Mine came with an inspection sheet showing that it beat all of it's tolerances.
    Bed Height was + 0.0001" of 2.25"
    Parallelisim: Vise Bed to Vise Base was 0.0001"
    Perpendicularity: Fixed Jaw to Vise Bed was 0.0004" (tolerance is 0.0005")
    Parallelism: Fixed Jaw to Keyway is -0.0001". (I measure this in the video below)

It came with 2 keys to place on the bottom of the vise to help seat it in the slots of the mill table. The keys fit perfectly into my X3's table. I made a little video of the results of installing the vise on the table, without tramming at all.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJecLtbi9iU"]YouTube - Shars 440V Vise Keyway Accuracy on X3 Mill[/nomedia]

-Jim

So if i understand correctly it was .02" out? thats good for just slapping on the table but im sure you will still want to dial it in
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mwood3 View Post
    So if i understand correctly it was .02" out? thats good for just slapping on the table but im sure you will still want to dial it in
    No, I added an annotation the video to say that I mis-spoke when I said "20 'tenths", I should have said 20 hundred thousandths, or 2 ten thousandths, or 0.0002".

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjamez View Post
    No, I added an annotation the video to say that I mis-spoke when I said "20 'tenths", I should have said 20 hundred thousandths, or 2 ten thousandths. or 0.0002".

-Jim
    O.o wow...

got me wanting to cut a keyway in the bottom of my vise...although i doubt id come close to that type of accuracy...I have the shars standard 4" lockdown vise.

Just updated the video to HD so that the DTI can be more easily read. The jaw itself has a little dip in it, but from jaw end to jaw end the vise is pretty much dead nuts on.

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjamez View Post
    Just updated the video to HD so that the DTI can be more easily read. The jaw itself has a little dip in it, but from jaw end to jaw end the vise is pretty much dead nuts on.

-Jim
    same as mine(about .002")

I got my Glacern today. That has to be the same vise? Also the inspection sheet read .0001 for #1, but #2 and #3 just read only as passed. I guess it didn't beat tolerance on the last 2? At least it had a Glacern sticker!