586,110 active members*
3,257 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 1993 VF2 Spindle Drive Parameters

1993 VF2 Spindle Drive Parameters

I have a 1993 VF2 with the Magnetek GPD 503 spindle drive. The load meters on the panel and in the control don't work. Also, rigid tapping isn't working at all. Does anyone have a list of constants for the drive? Mine don't seem look right.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Sounds to me like you have a snapped or worn belt in the head. It is a small belt that drives the spindle encoder. This would give you all the problems that you have mentioned.
    hope this helps

Where is the encoder located in the head? I took off some tin to have a look, but I can't find anything interesting other than the broken tool release switch I've been suffering without.
    Thanks,
    Tony

The Machine is from 1993. So I think, the machine has not an encoderbelt. For the parameters you must have some informations about your options, so a technican can use a parameterchecker program. call your dealer.
    The most dangerous phrase in the language is:"we've always done it this way."

Has rigid tapping ever worked?
    Do you have the rigid tapping option turned on (parameter 57) rigid tapping should have a '1' next to it.
    If you have rigid tapping - and it has worked before - then you MUST have an encoder and a belt.
    The encoder and belt is usually to the rear of the spindle motor - slightly to the left.
    You should also see a shot pin assembly - this is the unit that stops the spindle during orientation. The encoder is opposite the shot pin assembly.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanTec View Post
    The Machine is from 1993. So I think, the machine has not an encoderbelt. For the parameters you must have some informations about your options, so a technican can use a parameterchecker program. call your dealer.
    The parameter checker program is not used for the Magnetek Spindle Drives.

tbussan, parameters for this drive are accessed through the drive display and onboard keypad (some keypads were removable). I don't have a list of parameters for you but be aware that there are many menus to access and if you are not comfortable with accessing the drive, it may be best left to a service tech.

Good luck either way.