586,094 active members*
4,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport series 1 and teco N3 wiring

Hello, Can someone explain the wiring of the series 1 and a teco n3. My teco just came and I want to wire it up. The brigeport has 3 wires coming out of the forward and reverse switch aside the motor. The teco n3 manual is quite complex and Im just a novice. Thanks

check you voltage coming in ,make sure you motor is wire for that voltage

when connected , if your motor runs in reverse , switch and two wires to correct the rotation

Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    check you voltage coming in ,make sure you motor is wire for that voltage

when connected , if your motor runs in reverse , switch and two wires to correct the rotation
    Thanks for the reply, this motor was hooked up to 220 3phase. I bought a controller Teco n3 and it has on the bottom where I will be hooking wires. It has lots of wire terminals inside it. I was just hoping someone who has been through hooking one up could give some tips.
    I will be hooking it up on 220 to the drive and not sure on the motor part. There is 3 wires coming out of the existing fw/rev switch and I have not taken it apart totally but there are more wire than 3 controlling the motor just from the amount of wires after the fw/rev switch. I was looking for info on do I hook up to just the 3 wires coming from the switch or do I go back behind the switch and use more of the wires than the red, blk, wht.
    thanks for trying to help.

cruzin

Some photos would be good, Are you using 220v single Phase or 220v 3 Phase for the input power feed to your drive, you can not use the switch between the motor & drive, But you can use the switch for the input power to the drive
    Mactec54

N3 to bridgeport

here are pictures of what I have. The bridgeport has 3 wires coming from the existing switch. Red, black and white. My uncle had this wired to a larger 3 phase motor using it to power this mill in his basement. The teco drive although in the poor pictures of mine have 2 rows of larger terminals and 2 rows of smaller terminals. The row I think I should use is the top larger row labeled
    L1(L), L2, L3(N), T1, T2,T3

Below that the larger row are labeled
    PE, P, P1, BR, PE

The upper 2 rows of smaller terminals are

Top row
    R2B, R2A, S6, S5, S4, S3, S2, S1

Below that
    R1B, R1C, R1A, 10v, AIN, COM, 24v, FM+

Also there are 3 dip switches
    SW2, SW3, SW1
    The SW1 has arrows indicating NPN and PNP

I have taken the cover off the bridgeport Forward/ Reverse housing and found more wires leaving it going to the motor than the red, black, white coming into it. I have read that you can not use these 3 wires or am I wrong?

For the time being I just want to run the mill.
    Can the 3 wires from the forward/reverse switch be hooked up to the teco n3?
    thanks
    http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/DSC01662.jpg
    http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/DSC01663.jpg

After reading more in the manual and on line I read about a breaking resistor. Are those required? I will be running this on 220vac from my breaker box. I will hook up the 220 to L1 and L3. What about the ground? In the manual it just shows T1, T2, T3 going to the motor? that is what I have 3 wires that go to the forward/reverse switch. Do I just use those 3 wires in the N3 and hook to t1 t2 t3? And leave the forward/ reverse switch in forward position? thanks for any help

cruzin

The first thing you will have to do is get some shielded cable for the job, or your house
    TV Etc will go nuts, IGUS for your cable

Yes the 3 motor wires will go to U/T1 V/T2 W/T3, but you need to use shielded cable for this, & ground the shield at the Drive end only,This cable will have 3 Black 1 Green & a shield

Your input power I guess is 220 single phase as you have not said, this you want to use a shielded cable as well, this Cable/ wire will have 2 Black 1 Green & a shield( it can be the same cable as above you just cut one of the black wires flush at each end)

The input wires (2 Black go to R/L1 & T/L3/N on this drive, these wires are all in line with the motor terminals, Don't put wires on any other Terminals or you will see some smoke

Page 20 of the PDF shows how for your shielding
    Page 26 shows for your wiring
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by cruzin View Post
    Thanks for the reply, this motor was hooked up to 220 3phase. I bought a controller Teco n3 and it has on the bottom where I will be hooking wires. It has lots of wire terminals inside it. I was just hoping someone who has been through hooking one up could give some tips.
    I will be hooking it up on 220 to the drive and not sure on the motor part. There is 3 wires coming out of the existing fw/rev switch and I have not taken it apart totally but there are more wire than 3 controlling the motor just from the amount of wires after the fw/rev switch. I was looking for info on do I hook up to just the 3 wires coming from the switch or do I go back behind the switch and use more of the wires than the red, blk, wht.
    thanks for trying to help.
    it was late when i posted , i should have known what you were doing from the other post :lol:

sorry for the lack of info.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    cruzin

The first thing you will have to do is get some shielded cable for the job, or your house
    TV Etc will go nuts, IGUS for your cable

Yes the 3 motor wires will go to U/T1 V/T2 W/T3, but you need to use shielded cable for this, & ground the shield at the Drive end only,This cable will have 3 Black 1 Green & a shield

Your input power I guess is 220 single phase as you have not said, this you want to use a shielded cable as well, this Cable/ wire will have 2 Black 1 Green & a shield( it can be the same cable as above you just cut one of the black wires flush at each end)

The input wires (2 Black go to R/L1 & T/L3/N on this drive, these wires are all in line with the motor terminals, Don't put wires on any other Terminals or you will see some smoke

Page 20 of the PDF shows how for your shielding
    Page 26 shows for your wiring
    Thank you so much for the help. Yes I will be using 220 to power the drive. One thing is not clear to me when you say to ground the shield at the drive end only. Now would that be the ground that I would use coming from my breaker panel and ground it in the drive and then I assume that you do not run a ground from the drive to the motor.
    Last question, where might someone buy this shielded cable? thanks I really appreciate it.

after looking again at the pdf I see the part about grounding but I have a problem there. My pole barn is wired from my house I have a underground run for the pole barn power. They use the same ground. So to ground anything it will be grounded through the houses 2 ground rods. I dont know hou to overcome this. Unless I just drive in a ground rod out by the barn and have another ground there. I do not know if this is a ok thing to do or not. I thought I read somewhere that you were only supposed to have a ground in the system in one place. Maybe someone here know better. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruzin View Post
    after looking again at the pdf I see the part about grounding but I have a problem there. My pole barn is wired from my house I have a underground run for the pole barn power. They use the same ground. So to ground anything it will be grounded through the houses 2 ground rods. I dont know hou to overcome this. Unless I just drive in a ground rod out by the barn and have another ground there. I do not know if this is a ok thing to do or not. I thought I read somewhere that you were only supposed to have a ground in the system in one place. Maybe someone here know better. thanks
    run an earth ground , a copper rod driven into the ground (check with your local electrical code for the specs )

Thanks, yes I think I will get a rod just for this system.
    Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    run an earth ground , a copper rod driven into the ground (check with your local electrical code for the specs )

cruzin

It's in post 6 were to get your cable

Igus is the name of the company that sell the cable that you will need

igus® Chainflex® Continuous-Flex Cables for Automated Machinery
    Mactec54