586,068 active members*
3,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > SL 20 with swiss live tooling I need alignment advice

SL 20 with swiss live tooling I need alignment advice

I have been running this lathe for a while and wonder how to tweek the live tooling attachments in a better way. Right now I put them in and having a pin which fits into the hole in the tool turrent the pin being held by two set screws on the vdi tool. I find I always must use the set screws to swivel the live tooling acuritely to about zero taper. This is on the 90 degree tooling. Has anyone done something better which will align it just right without having to tweek it one way and then the other each time? It seems to me that I should not have to go through this process each time I must load up and I should just load it.

These pins eventually just slip out and must be pinched again with the two set screws. I do not have any problems using the face tools.

Thanks in advance,
    Roundman

I was wondering what the heck those things were for! I got my machine used and it didn't come with any live tools so I got mine on ebay. When they arrived I saw that area on the back of the tool with the pocket and set screws, but without having the pins in the turret I never put 2 + 2 together. Funny thing is I have been running just fine without using it at all (I hope). Looking at it I can't see a better way other than always putting the tool in the same position and machining a non adjustable pocket to replace the adjustable one. How off is it before you adjust it?

Hey

LOL
    Not really that far probably .0015 over a distance of 2 inches in X. I take a Rod of precision stock and tighten it in the collet then I use a coax held in spindle collet and run it the distance on X and then check on top of the rod and 180 degrees on the same rod it should be as close as possible. Each time I have adjusted it a little.