586,075 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can't extrude.

I have projected lines to this shape, and I want to extrude the surface between the lines -0.125", but I can't select that surface. It will only select the entire surface. Can I somehow "break" the surface between the lines so I can only select it?

You need to start using layers, and constructing different items on different layers. Once on layers, you can turn some items on and others off. You can't select "part" of an item - it is all or nothing. If you want to select just the surface between the lines, then you need to have a new surface that only exists in that area... Does that help?

Create a new layer, and on that layer, extrude a new surface that goes from one of your lines to the next. Turn off the layer that the main surface is on, and then you should only see the new short segment. Extrude it like you wanted.

If that isn't clear, post your BBCD file with more description of what you want done and someone should help you out with it...

The "Break Many" utility will work with line geometry... If you want to break that surface with those curves, use the "Utilities-Break SUrface" command.. Select your surface, then select the curves that will break the surface...

Haven't notice the Break Surface command before... Thanks!

The layers advice is pretty good advice though.. Especially when discussing "Picking lines that lay on surfaces and such" type stuff... It's a good practice that almost "MUST" be incorporated...