586,060 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Need a plastic electronics enclosure cheap!

Need a plastic electronics enclosure cheap!

I've been looking at all the really cool enclosures that are created by you folks on the Zone.
    Amazing to say the least. I just need a place to get a plastic box or panel, semi rigid so it doesn't flex too much.
    I'm just mounting a 24VDC/5A flat power supply and a 3 axis Toshiba TB6560 stepper controller in it.
    I have a power switch and an e-stop I'd like to mount as well. The original Xylotex box I have is little small
    for good air flow in there.

Any ideas on where to get one locally would be great. Online is ok too.

If I can't find anything I like that's cheap, I'll probably just build a wood one
    with a clear plexi door or something.

Thanks in advance,
    Colorado Newbie

Take a look at these. Not pretty, but they'd keep the metal chips out.

Shop Storage : Totes & Baskets at Lowes.com

Quote Originally Posted by quazga View Post
    Take a look at these. Not pretty, but they'd keep the metal chips out.

Shop Storage : Totes & Baskets at Lowes.com

What size do you need?

I found some excellent enclosures on ebay [Hoffman Cases]. Most are metal and fiberglass, but make a professional set-up.

HOFFMAN Enclosure Box - 8" x 8" x 4" - eBay (item 180564198418 end time Oct-21-10 07:37:33 PDT)

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man

You can get a 12"X12"X6" Gray plastic box (NEMA type 6P) from here for about $33.00. They have smaller ones too.

Carlon 12 In. x 12 In. x 6 In., Gray, Junction Box - E989R-UPC at The Home Depot

Joe

How about plastic storage containers? Lots of sizes, various types of sealing, cheap and easily available. Some of them might need a bit of reinforcement.
    CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

I would be a little wary about the safety of plastic storage containers. Usually they are polypropylene and are brittle, ie trip over and fall on one and it can shatter and fry you with live wires, they can also crack and fail due to drilling even if the holes initially look ok when you drilled them.

They also tend to degrade quickly (getting even more brittle) if they get any exposure to sunlight etc.

For a few dollars more you can pick up a steel enclosure and all your other needs from Factory Mation.

Here is a link NEMA 1 Continuous Hinge

And a picture of mine that all but a few parts where sourced from
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00934.JPG   DSC00935.JPG   DSC00939.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Regnar View Post
    For a few dollars more you can pick up a steel enclosure and all your other needs from Factory Mation.

Here is a link NEMA 1 Continuous Hinge

And a picture of mine that all but a few parts where sourced from

How do you route the PC cable, stepper motor cables, AC supply cable, and the like? Do you punch or drill holes in the enclosure and mount connectors, or something else?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    I would be a little wary about the safety of plastic storage containers. Usually they are polypropylene and are brittle, ie trip over and fall on one and it can shatter and fry you with live wires, they can also crack and fail due to drilling even if the holes initially look ok when you drilled them.

They also tend to degrade quickly (getting even more brittle) if they get any exposure to sunlight etc.
    Polypropylene is one of the least brittle plastics known to man. They make what is known as living hinges out of it that can be flexed for millions of cycles before failure.

It's true that it can degrade in ultraviolet light, as with most plastics that don't contain UV inhibitors, but that takes time, at least a few months before the material properties change enough to be significantly noticeable.

Your comment sounds as though it is based on experience. So the only thing I can think is either the material you had was sitting in the sun for a year or more, or the polymer was manufactured with very low quality methods and materials.

Then again, you may have experienced these properties with a plastic that was something other than polypropylene or polyethylene.

You could use connectors but it will get expensive quickly. I use cord grips and run the wires to where they need to go.

Cord Grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00951.JPG  

Interesting...

I had never before heard of "cord grips" - but I guess that they make sense if you need to have environmental isolation (or if you want to save the cost of connectors)...

Quote Originally Posted by quazga View Post
    Polypropylene is one of the least brittle plastics known to man. They make what is known as living hinges out of it that can be flexed for millions of cycles before failure.

It's true that it can degrade in ultraviolet light, as with most plastics that don't contain UV inhibitors, but that takes time, at least a few months before the material properties change enough to be significantly noticeable.

Your comment sounds as though it is based on experience. So the only thing I can think is either the material you had was sitting in the sun for a year or more, or the polymer was manufactured with very low quality methods and materials.

Then again, you may have experienced these properties with a plastic that was something other than polypropylene or polyethylene.
    My opinion was based on experience! I have used small PP containers for bulk parts storage for about 15 years, it is very brittle and most of the well-used containers have needed replacing due to cracking and failure.

I have also used larger PP containers for tool storage and some have also cracked and failed. One left in the australian sun for only a couple of months failed terribly with change in colour and literally fell apart. Storage containers (as specifically mentioned by jsheerin "cheap and easily available") from the house goods stores are almost always PP and are BRITTLE. Stomp on one if you don't believe me, it will explode into shards.

As for living hinges, that would be polyethylene or a styrene (like ABS) as PP is generally unsuitable.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    My opinion was based on experience! I have used small PP containers for bulk parts storage for about 15 years, it is very brittle and most of the well-used containers have needed replacing due to cracking and failure.

I have also used larger PP containers for tool storage and some have also cracked and failed. One left in the australian sun for only a couple of months failed terribly with change in colour and literally fell apart. Storage containers (as specifically mentioned by jsheerin "cheap and easily available") from the house goods stores are almost always PP and are BRITTLE. Stomp on one if you don't believe me, it will explode into shards.

As for living hinges, that would be polyethylene or a styrene (like ABS) as PP is generally unsuitable.
    “Polypropylene is the most commonly used material for living hinges. Other materials may be used but will usually result in a shorter life.” Quoted from: US patent 6215081 Bistable compliant mechanism - Google Patent Search

“Polypropylene is the preferred material for this application. Polypropylene has many advantages including the following: (a) it flows easily during injection and fills thin walls; (b) it forms living hinges capable of withstanding millions of cycles” Quoted from: US patent 10629335 Hermetically sealed container - Google Patent Search

“Polypropylene is the ideal plastic material for integral, injection molded hinges.” Quoted from: By Design: Polypropylene part design, Part 2

“Due to its toughness and ductility, polypropylene (PP) is uniquely suited for a fastening and joining concept that can't easily be reproduced with other engineering thermoplastics: the integral or living hinge.” Quoted from: Care and feeding of living hinges | Machine Design

“Polypropylene living hinges can be flexed a million times before failure” Quoted from: Polypropylene: the definitive user's guide and databook.
    Polypropylene: the definitive user's ... - Google Books

“A "living hinge" is a very thin portion of plastic that bridges two heavy walls and provides ability to flex repeatedly the part without the use of a classic mechanical hinge. When properly designed, living hinge made from polypropylene or polyethylene, can sustain a minimum of one million to a maximum of ten million flexing cycles without failure.” Quoted from: Society of Manufacturing Engineers

Ok it looks like PP is ok for living hinges.

However that has little to do with my first post and the fact that PP containers are very brittle, based on the PP containers I have here (that are clearly marked with PP and the 5 recycling logo) and the huge number of them that are cracked and/or have been replaced.

So we have established it's a fact that PP can be used for living hinges, and it's a fact that PP makes very brittle cheap containers that crack and shatter. I'll stand by my first post, regardless of time wasted arguing.

Actually I'd disagree with you at least on the point that all storage containers are brittle and shatter easily. I know some do - I have some. I also have other storage containers that are much tougher. They might not be pp, but I don't have them in front of me to look at at the moment. I've used some of these for mounting various things in. I'm not claiming they can replace a proper industrial enclosure, but for some uses they are nice.
    CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

Quote Originally Posted by coloradonewbie View Post
    I've been looking at all the really cool enclosures that are created by you folks on the Zone.
    Amazing to say the least. I just need a place to get a plastic box or panel, semi rigid so it doesn't flex too much.
    I'm just mounting a 24VDC/5A flat power supply and a 3 axis Toshiba TB6560 stepper controller in it.
    I have a power switch and an e-stop I'd like to mount as well. The original Xylotex box I have is little small
    for good air flow in there.

Any ideas on where to get one locally would be great. Online is ok too.

If I can't find anything I like that's cheap, I'll probably just build a wood one
    with a clear plexi door or something.

Thanks in advance,
    Colorado Newbie
    DDB Unlimited has nice aluminum enclosures. They also have clear doors that can be added. They are reasonable, it just depends on the kind of protection your looking for. If you want real serious protection. Check out Nema Outdoor Pole/Wall/Pad and Traffic Enclosures | DDB Unlimited, Inc.