586,058 active members*
4,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Can I still get an X1 belt drive conversion?

Can I still get an X1 belt drive conversion?

I know the X1 is out of production, but does anyone know where I can still get a belt drive conversion for it? I love the little machine and use it quite a bit, but I'm thinking of dong a CNC conversion and using it for some engraving. I've already extended the X and Y axis travel with kits from LMS, but it seem they no longer carry the belt conversion. I could probably try and turn some pulleys on my Shopmaster, but I'm new to this stuff and not sure how it would turn out. I'd hate to spend money on material just to turn it into scrap. Any help would be appreciated!

No one knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Fast01 View Post
    No one knows?
    This is they guy that was making them. His name is John, and he and Tex were the two behind this. I know it was always a sideline hobby. You can contact him via the link on that page if it is still his current address.

Garry

Thank you Garry, but there's no link or URL for any page here. I hate to be a pain, but could you please post it here or PM me with it? Thanks so much!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2z45u/yeoldepenmaker/

All that is on that page is John's Email...

And I have heard he isn't to good at answering email...

There is a cnc meeting that TEX will be at tonight that I was hoping to get to but alas not going to happen..
    Garry

Thank you! I'll give it a shot!

You could always make your own conversion. I did it on my X1 as shown here:
    Mill belt drive conversion - mikesworkshop
    Mike

drmico60, your web page is awesome! Thank you for posting it. I'm sure I could try to replicate what you've done, but where did you source the step pulleys from? Also, it seems that you cast your own timing pulley, I don't have that capability. Any chance you'd be interested in casting some to sell to me? I know you're in the UK, but even with shipping and Customs, I think it would save me a lot of headache! Thanks again for posting!

Hi Fast01,
    Thanks for the kind words. Both the step pulleys and the timing pulley started life as rough aluminium castings that were then machined to shape. They could equally well have been machined out of solid but this would have been generated much swarf. I am only a hobbyist and I do this stuff for fun not as a business.
    Mike

Google "ballbot x1" . You´ll find a guy that used Taig pulleys and made a conversion this way. Looks like a saturday afternoon project once you ducked the bullet to make the pulleys on your own.

Cheers,
    Johann

Quote Originally Posted by Johann ohnesorg View Post
    Google "ballbot x1" . You´ll find a guy that used Taig pulleys and made a conversion this way. Looks like a saturday afternoon project once you ducked the bullet to make the pulleys on your own.

Cheers,
    Johann
    Thank you for that. Google is not playing nicely with the search, well, for me at least. Here's a direct link

BalBots.com - Articles - CNC Milling machine Part II

Thank you for all the replys. They are greatly appreciated! Now I have something to work with.