586,444 active members*
3,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Multicam MT22

Hello

I have a Multicam MT22 24x24 router with 2 Perske spindles on it, belive it was buildt 1997 i bought it from a finance company, i need help setting up the machine setup on it, I have no idea how to configure it what drivers to use and so on.
    I got the Enroute3 software with the machine i have installed it and the software seems to work but i am afraid to try running it with the wrong settings, i didnt get a manual for the machine itself only for enroute i belive i need some extra parameters for the second spindle and i have no ideas what they are. I am hoping someone with the same machine could point me in the right direction here.

Newbie Multicam MT22

I install, repair and train on these machines. Where do you want to start, post some questions and we will get started.

driver setup

Hi, thanks for your reply, being a total newbie im very happy someone is willing to help

First of all, im a bit confused what driver to use, in the list of drivers i have multiple options that all might be right:

MultcmGC
    Multicam HPGL
    Multicam
    MulticamGC router

there is also options about 2D and 3D, but i guess 3D will be right i have a 3 axis machine and i want to use them all

My machine is equipped with 2 Perske spindels, i wonder how they are controlled, do i choose "drill bank" and set options for it there ? if so how do i know the YYZ parameters for it ? i guess only X coordinates is needed.

i also wonder if i can use only enroute or if i need additional software from Multicam to be able to use it. i found a disc inside the CNC controller box with something called multicam PSS on should i install this ?

Still not resolved, someone else with ideas ?

I am still looking for answers, if someone got any documentation at all or some experience i would really like to hear from you.

Multicam MT22 retrofit

Hello, it seems like no one actually has any knowledge of this machine i have decided to retrofit it, get the old multicam things out of it and in with some new tech. probably the best thing to do anyways since the multicam people arent very cooperative.

I am now in the market for a retrofit kit, suggestions is welcome.

Thank you :cheers:

I'm going to jump in and try to lead you in a direction so that you can get your machine working.
    1st off is knowing the operation of the machines controls and keypad.
    Don't concern yourself with other programs until you have the machine running and responding to the keypad.

Steps in order would be:
    Power up control
    Let machine boot up control program
    Once machine is up, display will have x y and z coordinants
    Before the machine will do anything, you must set home
    The machine will seek the home limit switches and self align.

This procedure will indicate that the machine is working.
    If your able to get to this point, I don't see a need of retrofitting.

We can get you going ....

Smile Hey

Thank you for your reply, I got some manuals for this thing now, MCPservice provided me with the basic user manual (thanx a lot for that by the way) so i am no longer completely in the dark. i am now in the progress of getting power to the thing as well as pipes for the vaccum pump and compressed air. i realized i didnt have enough power to use the machine only had 10A 230v, its rated 20A. have to get someone to install new circuit breakers and wiring for it. As I am waiting i am reading the manuals I am pretty sure it is operational when powered up, it was in working order when pulled from the previous workshop.

I am pretty sure i will have more questions later.

Thanks

Well so far so good

Today i finally got the machine started, everything looks fine able to home it and everything like Max said. problem now is that i cannot get DNC to work
    in the end i tried the old MX application when i try to load a job it says that the current controller doesent support it :S not sure what to do but i read something about firmware might be too old for DNC to work

i have 3.24B firmware or something like that, the manual for mx stated that a later was needed.
    is it possible to obtain that ? its an extratech M23 controller

Do you have a program called JobServer?
    If so, connect to the machine using that.
    Using the windows program called Computer, view the files under DncFiles and you should see sub-folders Jobs1, Jobs2, Jobs3 .... etc.
    Put your toolpath file created in the design program into one of these sub-folders and access it from the multicam keypad using the DNC connect button.
    Load that file and run from the keypad.
    You cannot (that I know of) send files to the multicam control.

Thanx

Ill have a go again using the jobserver, unfortunantly have to go away for xmas but will test in a few days

h-board?

Hi, I'm wondering if your unit has a similar h-board controller to mine. It's quite a good DSP controller.

The M23 is the interface board, where the optos are, not the controller. My old MG has an M24 interface board mounted on top of the controller board with standoffs and screws. The controller board should have an Intel i960 on it, along with an Analog Devices DSP and a few assorted other FPGA's. I'm guessing it'll say "H971" on it, along with a revision number.

When you say "firmware", we need to be sure we're discussing the right file. Mine is called "htk351b". When I open it up with wordpad it's mostly binary gibberish, but you can read a copyright notice from Filmore Systems.

You'll probably also have loader and init files, named "HSTD", "HLDR", or maybe "HATC", if the machine has a tool changer. These are plain text files which will provide clues for how to call the 2 heads.

Multicam has a pretty useful list of g-codes at their website.

The MT22 is an interesting machine.

-Jim Hart
    My main machine: Multicam MG series (MG101) with original Extratech H971 controller, Minarik servo motors, Electro-Craft BRU-series drives, 4KW Colombo. Let's talk Multicam!

Newbie Multicam MT22

Can you tell me what your setting are for the serial communication that you are using, plus are you using XP as your operating system or Vista or Win 7.

MX32 will not work on a system higher then XP, plus your port setting, can you tell me what your port setting are?

After reading MCPservice reply, I'm now wondering if you are able to connect between your pc and table. There is a trouble shooting guide in the manual including serial cable pin outs.
    I checked my machine and what I am running is the MX32 that includes the jobserver.
    My machine has an older version of firmware and the dnc works fine, but not all of the other features in MX32.

Try accessing the dnc files from your control keypad using the connect button. If the machine cannot access the dnc files on your computer it will say "Cannot Connect" then you will know it's a serial communication problem.

MCPservice helped me through a few problems I had getting up and running. I think your in good hands.

more info

Hello

I am using Windows XP Sp3 with all updates, no antivirus or firewall

Port settings:

Baud rate:19200, Parity: even, Data bits: 8, stop bits: 1

i also have a PSS cd version 3.9 if that may be a better solution
    i have checked the pinouts on the cable (according to the manual)
    Cable is correctly installed and the cable has been in use before.
    i read from the manual what end of cable should go where.

When i connect it i get the error message "parity error" sometimes and sometimes nothing at all (at the LCD display) I read somewhere that florescent lights could make interference with the serial connection, i have those kind of lights in my workshop but cable isnt close to them,but it might be some noise in the powerlines since i am very close to a railroad (electric).

When i Enter the DNC option from the controllerbox it just goes back to showing off firmware version, no communication error message on that. firmware is 3.23b

opinions/solutions/suggestions are very welcome

autodetect?

MX32 will autodetect the connection, trying all the different combinations of baud, parity, etc. Have you done this?

Max, it sounds like you're up and running with your Pro Series... I'd be interested to know how you solved your power problem, also how you're using the machine.

Hopefully we're accumulating some useful info on these wonderful old machines here on the 'zone. I think old Multi's are far and away the best bang for the buck. That MT22 could crank out guitar bodies all day long.

-Jim Hart
    My main machine: Multicam MG series (MG101) with original Extratech H971 controller, Minarik servo motors, Electro-Craft BRU-series drives, 4KW Colombo. Let's talk Multicam!

Newbie Multicam MT22

Sorry for the delay guys, like to see the holidays come, but love to see them go!

Ok....let see I need you to go to

My computer on your desktop, right click.
    Goto Device manager
    click on comm port, select your CNC port
    click properties
    select port setting
    none
    hardware
    click advanced
    set receive high as it will go
    set transmit as low as it will go

Click ok

Also if you are in excess of a hundred feet from you machine to computer you will need a serial line amplifier or move closer to your machine with a shorter cable.

Try this and see how this works for you ....remember these setting are actually on the computer port itself, not the setting in the machine tools connections screen.

Progress :D

Hey

Yes MX32 detects the Multicam.

I also tried more on the PSS software v3.9 today. I an now able to reboot controller and use emergency stop from PC with Motionmechanic software in PSS 3.9

Only thing i noticed now, when i tried a comms test in Motion mechanics its says something like that it tried to stop handshake but handshake didnt stop so it told me that cable or max202 chip or RS232 on pc could be a problem

But, computer is not a problem, i also installed a brand new 2 port serial card just to be 100% certain. deactivated onboard stuff

Thanx

port settings

seems like MX32 is up and running and connected but when i try to run a job it says "Feature not enabled on current microcontroller!"

i suspect this can be a version problem, found a readme that leads me to belive i need a later version of whatever is on the controllerbox

v3.32b m23 i3.10 0 is on my controller LCD panel. I read the docs that came with MX 32 it says that i need v3.41 or greater to use dnc function im not an expert but it makes sense (possibly why i cannot access the "DNC" menu)

MX decided that the settings
    was Even not none, should i still use None ?

Newbie Multicam MT22

Nix MX32 and try to use Jobserver, delete MX32 1st and then install Jobserver, I think you will get better results. Install Jobserver, don't use the autodetect, manually select the default comm selection. Reboot, once the system comes up, Jobserver should connect automatically.

Once it connects, go to the keypad and try to connect.

Thanks MCPservice for jumping in here.
    I'm no good at giving step by step instructions. Much of what you are suggesting is what I went through trying to get my machine running. It was pretty much hunt and peck through the settings until I had success.
    Also, your help went a long way for me.

I bought my machine surplus with no software or documentation. To add to my frustration was that I needed 3 phase power and only had single phase.
    I found software downloads on the net along with some older manuals.
    After reverse drawing the control cabinet wiring and identifying the components, I was able to hook up to single phase. I also had to move the primary taps of the main transformer to the proper supply voltage.
    The spindle vsd is also hooked up to single phase and performing perfectly.
    There were a few issues to overcome but doing so have given me the knowledge needed to keep the machine running.

Long story short ... I am up and running and the machine is earning it's keep. I'm very impressed with the accuracy it has.

My specs are
    MultiCam Pro 5 x 12 table
    Dual Z (only using 1)
    6.8kw HSD spindle w/ceramic bearings*
    M24
    H971 r3
    loader V2.62
    MCIF v3.54e

running JobServer for DNC

When I run MX32, there are several features that are not available and for my use not needed anyway. Such as tool use timer.

*I have questions concerning the spindle with ceramic bearings but will post a new thread.

Boltz,
    I have a sign business and use the machine to cut plastic and aluminum for channel letters, pvc and foam for dimensional letters, HD urethane foam for dimensional carved signs. The previous owner made cabinets. They upgraded to a newer machine with auto material loading.

This machine replaced a home built router made with 80/20 and using a Matabo straight grinder for a spindle. Control was Kcam w/serial board from Kellyware.
    I also have a home built hotwire cutter made of 80/20 for dimensional foam. Still using the Kcam for that.

The nail biter was being able to get the spindle running on single phase. Luckily it works fine using L1 L2 with no connection with the third leg L3. The drive is outputting the 3 phase to the spindle.

I have a vacuum hold down but it must have 3 phase and the motor is 208 windings and my service available is 220.
    I'm in the process of having a 3 phase service installed hopefully completed and inspected by the end of next week. The meter panel and stem is installed. We are now running the disconnect feed to the machine.
    I'll still need to either have the existing motor rewound at $550 to $600 or find a similar frame motor that's 20hp.
    Baby steps!

Page 1 of 2 12