586,042 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport Series 2 interact 2 controller woes

Bridgeport Series 2 interact 2 controller woes

Hello!

I recently have become active in a FSAE group at my university (build a small race car). The team acquired a Bridgeport Series 2 interact 2 with a heiden hain tnc 151 controller. The machine is in OK shape, but the controller has lost its parameters, im guessing from sitting unused for too long. It would be a big asset to the team to have a working cnc milling machine. I ran accross a active heiden hain customer support page but have not been able to find it since. The FSAE group's budget isn't big enough to retrofit the controller so we need to get the tnc 151 working. I have experience with benchtop mills (built a cnc x3 mill with 203v controllers) but no experience with servo's or any control other then mach 3. If anyone know where i could contact heiden hain directly, get the parameters for the mill, or if anyone has had a similar experience i would greatly appreciate your input.

Best regards,

Reed Teyber

You are in the correct place. Search these posts as we started a list where people were attaching their parameters. You can also download a manual from heidenhain. Make sure of the number of parameters you are looking for. Each control model had different levels of software and thus different parameter numbers. Be aware that some parameters are machine specific such as backlash, distance from home switch to limits of travel, etc. I may have a generic parameter list used to start a machine at the factory. I will be looking.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Just curious, how much did you pay for your mill. I have the same exact mill.

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    You are in the correct place. Search these posts as we started a list where people were attaching their parameters. You can also download a manual from heidenhain. Make sure of the number of parameters you are looking for. Each control model had different levels of software and thus different parameter numbers. Be aware that some parameters are machine specific such as backlash, distance from home switch to limits of travel, etc. I may have a generic parameter list used to start a machine at the factory. I will be looking.

George
    Cheers machinetek!

We found a interact 2 parameter sheet in the shop. We changed the AA batteries in the front of the tnc 151 (with the power off, as the parameters were already lost). Its now in english and seems to be holding the parameters. However, when it asks for the datum position in the initial screen, it says
    "axis 4 meas. system defective a"
    and we cannot get out of the screen. Before the error popped up, most keys would give a "not programmed" error, such as the manual operation mode. This makes me wonoder if there are additional parameters that need to be entered. We entered 263 parameters. This machine would be extremely useful to us even just jogging it around.

Quote Originally Posted by ichudov View Post
    Just curious, how much did you pay for your mill. I have the same exact mill.
    The story is a previous member won it off his boss in a high stakes poker game :boxing:

I'm guessing that the main parameters are re-loaded but not the PLC program,and that it was running from ram rather than the eprom. There will be a parameter that chooses between running from eprom or ram (its 77 on my TNC355 but will be something else on your machine).

Running from ram is normally only used when developing the machine implementation as it can be edited 'on the fly', then written to the eprom. Depending what stage your machine was at in the developemet cycle you may get lucky and have workable code in the eprom that you can run.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

OK looks like there is some backwards compatibility - it's param 77 on a TNC151 as well.

0 = run from ram
    1 = run from EPROM

You need to download the TNC151 service manual from heidenhain's web site if it's still available as it lists all the parameters.

Parameter 77 default setting according the Heidenhain is '1'
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Simple question.Does the machine have a fourth axis? If not go to Parameter 72 and set it to 8.The control does not look for the fourth axis then.(It`s from memory so check that number.)
    That is a handy parameter to use for maintenance.If you have a fault and not sure where it`s coming from,you can inhibit as many axis as you like.I do it for testing axis drives and motors.Inhibit them all except the easiest one to work on.
    One of the problems of downloading parameter sets of the net is that the 151P and 155P controls have external plc`s in addition to the eprom and certain parameters relate to the plc.I don`t mean as Andrew says,I mean quite a few of the parameters on these controls make the plc do different things.
    The parameter 77 is normally used when writing a new plc programme or wishing to change the existing one.You boot the control up with the plc in ram and you can then make changes to the plc programme and test run it.When you have proved the programme you then get Heidenhain to burn an eprom which you fit to the control,or burn it yourself if you have the equipment.
    You cannot edit/change the original plc programme on the eprom on the machine.
    Mark.