586,103 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > "Creating room for a large size tool" (SMTC)

"Creating room for a large size tool" (SMTC)

I was playing around with the control to just to start getting familiarized with some of the functions. I got stumped on switching tools from one pocket to another. The manual says “Enter Tnn into the control” then press ATC FWD to move tool to spindle. (This is under the heading "Creating room for a large size tool" in the manual) The instructions after that make sense, but I can’t get past inputting the Tnn. (lol)

I guess “Tnn” is a tool number but I can’t figure out exactly what I am supposed to input here. I tried using the designation “P” and the pocket number but it just does a tool change putting the tool back in the original pocket. I tried different variations of Tnn plus the P-number but nothing worked. So what am I missing?

(My machine is an "08 if that matters.)

I think you need to specify the tool in the spindle as 'oversize' so that it will always be put back in a safe pot. Don't remember how to do that on Haas though. Obviously if adjacent pots are empty then it is safe to return tool to original pot. There may also be a parameter to change from a fixed ATC to a migratory. I prefer fixed....less confusing

DP

What is the Tnn entry?

tnn

Tnn stands for t1 for tool one.... so just type in t1 and hit the atc forward or revers button. it is kind of a short cut so you dont have to go into mdi and type m6t1: cycle start. .... if you want tool 22 then type t22 and hit atc fwd or atc rev. button
    ]
    If you have a large tool that you want the rapid to slow down on ... or let say you have a large shell mill and it need extra room... ( an empty pot on each side) you would go to the conversions key or offset key ( depending of software) and page up unitll you see a screen that shows you your tool numbers and POT numbers... then there is some instruction on the bottom of the screen instructing you to select "L" for large tool.... "H" for a heavy tool... and so forth..
    Good luck

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks.

The SMTC is really good....except when you try to sort out what tool is where.

When I clicked on 'reply' SD man's post was not visible to me and I was going to say more or less the same as him; you can isolate a large tool with empty pockets on either side. I don't know exactly how to do it but I have seen something in the instructions that come up on the machine screen.

I also want to mention Haas' new "@your service blog" for those who have not been able to get signed up for the Haas magazine. In the current magazine they mention the introduction of a blog site which; "makes finding timely and relevant machine information even easier".

Log on to http://atyourservice.haascnc.com/

I haven't log on (have I mentioned I'm retired?) so I have no idea how useful it is.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    The SMTC is really good....except when you try to sort out what tool is where.

When I clicked on 'reply' SD man's post was not visible to me and I was going to say more or less the same as him; you can isolate a large tool with empty pockets on either side. I don't know exactly how to do it but I have seen something in the instructions that come up on the machine screen.

I also want to mention Haas' new "@your service blog" for those who have not been able to get signed up for the Haas magazine. In the current magazine they mention the introduction of a blog site which; "makes finding timely and relevant machine information even easier".

Log on to Haas At Your Service

I haven't log on (have I mentioned I'm retired?) so I have no idea how useful it is.
    Thanks Geof, I don't know how I missed signing up for that as much time as I spend googling Haas info, not to mention the time I spend at their site. I have signed up for their magazine a dozen times though.

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    .....I have signed up for their magazine a dozen times though.
    Maybe you should PM me your address. We get three or four copies to different people in the company; we could send you one.

Maybe you should PM me your address. We get three or four copies to different people in the company; we could send you one.

PM incomming

Quote Originally Posted by SD man View Post
    Tnn stands for t1 for tool one.... so just type in t1 and hit the atc forward or revers button. it is kind of a short cut so you dont have to go into mdi and type m6t1: cycle start. .... if you want tool 22 then type t22 and hit atc fwd or atc rev. button
    Good luck
    The "T" was what I was missing, Thanks.

I do have another question about loading tools in the tool changer. The manual runs through a procedure (which in itself makes sense) to load the tool changer using the "next tool" button that is supposed to move the tool to the SMTC, however I can't get it to work. I believe I'm in the correct mode; it just won’t advance the tool from the spindle.

I was able to use the MDI mode with the ATC forward button, I was just wondering what gives with the "next tool" button?

I did just enroll in the HFO class but that’s next month. I doubt I can stay away from the machine control until then though. :wee:

I wouldn't get too used to using the next tool button. Let's say you're loading T1 and T2. Well, T1 might be in P8, and T2 might be in P15. You don't want to push 'next tool' 7 times to get to T2. Just type T2, ATC FWD, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    I wouldn't get too used to using the next tool button. Let's say you're loading T1 and T2. Well, T1 might be in P8, and T2 might be in P15. You don't want to push 'next tool' 7 times to get to T2. Just type T2, ATC FWD, done.
    I have the MDI input down, I was just wondering why the next tool button was not working. I'm following the manual step by step and it wont advance the tool from the spindle to the smtc. (??)

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    .....I was just wondering why the next tool button was not working....
    Not working at all?

Maybe it is turned off, I think there is a setting or parameter that controls this.

But on the SMTC I think it is a good idea to avoid using it because it gives you the next tool in the changer and you don't know what this tool is.

Not working at all?

Maybe it is turned off, I think there is a setting or parameter that controls this.

But on the SMTC I think it is a good idea to avoid using it because it gives you the next tool in the changer and you don't know what this tool is.
    Ahh a setting, that's what I was getting at. The MDI input is fine, I'm just trying to start getting a grasp on the control.

"Next Tool" was designed to help setup the machine, so it is supposed to be pressed right after "Tool Offset Measure".
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Edit

The "Next Tool" button was designed when the umbrella tool changer was the norm. To use this feature, set tool length with tool offset measure, if you immediately press next tool button, the machine will retract z and load the next tool into spindle. If any other buttons are pressed after tool offset measure, this feature does not work.

I do not remember 100% how it works with a SMTC since it has been so long since I have tried it. Just try it and see what it does.

A tip for the SMTC. If you see a tool in a pocket you want to load into the spindle but don't want to search the offset page to cross reference to find the T number; simply type P# into MDI then ATC FWD or ATC REV and it will load whatever tool is in the pocket. (# being the pocket number)

Thanks guys..