586,094 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need machine spheres

hello CNC gurus. figured someone here might be able to help me. what i am needing made are spheres that are 1.8"-2" in diameter with an approx 1" deep threaded hole. first batch i am looking for on these is probably 50-100 of these with future batches of 100+ if your work/price is good. will more than likely have some made out of steel, but would really love it if there was someone who works with tungsten or some other material heavier than steel. they will more than likely be powder coated so not much need for a finish on them.

i am located currently in GA.

if this is a job you think you can handle/ would like to quote me on please feel free to email me at [email protected].

noone wants my money =(. feel free to send quotes on steel as well

I thing the problem is you are asking for tungsten balls material is very expensive and need to be ground with a diamound wheel ..

thats fine, as i said i need some made with steel as well so i people can feel free to send me quotes for that.

here is more info on how they will be

45-50mm diameter
    approx 20mm flat on it, in the center of that will be a tapped hole that is M10x1.5 and about 25mm deep

I guess one approach would be to just buy some 2 in dia ball bearings and have the hole dripped and tapped.

I am guess timating the bearings would cost around $ 30 - 40 / each, plus the machining work. I could prob. get my brother to machine a hole and tap 100 of them for $ 15 - 20 / each on a manual mill. The main challenge is that they are rather hard.

Is that in your price range ?

As far as W, I would have to look around for that. I have worked with W before, but not for this kind of process. A W ball would almost have to be made from cvd first, then final grinding.

edit - found some 2 inch bearings for 25 / each. Will keep looking.

What are your tolerances, diameter +/-0.1mm or diameter +/-0.001mm?

Does the tapped hole have to be on a line passing through the center of the sphere or is there some tolerance here?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

there really is no strict tolerance in this. it is more of a decorative piece so as long as it is generally close to the sizing then it is fine. threaded part needs to be as straight into the flat portion as possible

Where are you located?

What kind of surface finish? Roundness of sphere?

Do they have to be steel?