586,103 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bostomatic Spindle Problem

Help!!!! I have a BostoMatic SPC II Control, 14" x 40" table travel. 1981 single spindle 5 hp., that the spindle will not come on. XYZ axis all work. Will rapid to programmed location, but when it is supposed to turn spindle on,
    it kills the power to controls. Spindle is not locked up, can spin it by hand.
    Have checked large fuses, & small ones, in the center cabinet which has the
    spindle drive controls, but, I'm not an electrician. Need help ASAP!!!!!

Electrospindle, Inverter

Can your electrician check to see if the Inverter is, or is not, supplying 3-phase power. Then you would know whether the problem is with the inverter, or with the electrospindle, or possibly both. Either way, we can help with the repair -

Precision Spindle & Accessories Inc.

www.precisionspindleinc.com tel. 519 671 3911
    [email protected] fax. 519

The spc2 has a contactor called 10cr, this relay will drop out the whole machine if it becomes de energized. 10cr is energised by several things including axis limit switches but since the machine turns off when you start the spindle you need to check elements relating to the spindle, these include the drive fault relay, spindle motor thermistor, chiller flow switch.

First, hopefully you have solved your problem by now...
    Second, HORAY! There are other folks running a Bosto. We are few and far between.
    Third, Ptech is right on, but the spindle coolant flow switch is on a timer relay, so it has a few seconds to start up before evaluating the flow switch state.

I looked at the bostomatic 1440 last sunday for makin chips and was able to get the spindle to work by directly hooking it up to the main power feed bypassing the spindle speed control circuit so I know the problem is in this circuit but do not have a drawing for this system to help pinpoint the component that is not working. If anyone has drawings for the spindle controls could they please post them here or point me in the right direction to where I can find them. The 10cr relay drops the main power to the bostomatic after a short time delay when trying to run the spindle from the pushbutton on the control panel. The speed control is made by a company called PTI CONTROLS out of Fullerton Ca.

If you still need help, I do have the electrical schematics for the system. Too big to email, but I could probably sketch or describe what happens around 10CR... at least by my machine.

Still looking for help even a basic sketch of the 10cr circuit might help find the source of the problem

spindle schematics

I have a pdf with the 300 schematics on, i have tried to attach the file, not done this before if you don't see it let me know.

Pete
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the drawings ptech not too sure if they are the same as the 1440 model, but any info is better than none. Been too busy is at my real job lately to see if these drawing will help me locate the problem.