586,058 active members*
4,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Can't get the RS232 working

Can't get the RS232 working

Milltronics Cent 1 controller. I've set all the parameters on the controller and the Dell XP laptop ..... baud=1200 baud, databits=7, parity=even, stopbits=2 .... got a null modem DB9 to DB25.
    Can't seem to transfer files, either sending or receiving. The Cent 1 keeps saying something about a parity bit conflict even though the parity is set correctly according to the manual.

Using the Hyperterminal on the laptop, I can sometimes see data on the laptop when I send from the Cent 1 to the laptop when I do the following .... In the hyperterminal window I select Transfer. It then asks for the name of the folder to place the data into. If I DON'T do this and hit the start button on the Cent 1, I will see the correct data going by on the laptop, but only a line at a time, so that when it's done I only see the last line. If I DO enter a receiving folder name then I get a parity error message from the Cent 1 and no data transfer at all. It would appear that the data is getting to the laptop but the laptop is unable to capture it. The file in question works properly on the mill.

I have tried various baud rates and receiving protocols (something the hyperterminal asks for, don't know which protocol is best). I have tried selecting Xon/Xoff, hardware, and "none" for the handshake. What's left to try? Totally baffled. Hopefully it's not some broken hardware.

I get "Error 901 .... the system sending data may not have the same parity as the CNC". However, if I tell it to transfer the file as a text file it makes the jump in either direction, but the file contents are littered with extra characters and the format is lost.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hey .... I got it running! Eureka! But you're right .... hyperterminal is a clumsy damn thing. And the Milltronics manual forgets to mention little details like "make sure you transfer the files as text files, 'cause the other formats won't work". At least this verifies that the RS232 cable has the pins "flipped" (the correct null modem), and the RS232 communication path is working. Now it's on to DNC. Hopefully it will go a bit easier.
    I'll definitely take a look at Cadem Lite. Thanks!