586,655 active members*
2,796 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Small/Metric endmills

I am making some parts that are rather small and require 1mm radius in some corners. These parts are about 6mm deep or to drop them I need a cutting depth of over .25IN. This is 7075 AL.

Anyone know of a good place to buy these smaller endmills with a longer DOC?

Finding out the hard way that cutting small parts requires some advanced planning

And to answer some of the questions I am changing the design and going with a larger radius for now to get the customer some parts since I know they will work but do need to get the smaller radius to reduce some weight on the part.

Check out the Harvey Tool product line, they have crazy small end mills. They currently offer a .078" (.0785" is 2MM I think?) end mill with lengths of cuts that range from .406" to 1.187", these are 3 flute 1/8" shank.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Check out the Harvey Tool product line, they have crazy small end mills. They currently offer a .078" (.0785" is 2MM I think?) end mill with lengths of cuts that range from .406" to 1.187", these are 3 flute 1/8" shank.

Thanks.. That may be what I am looking for. At some of the prices though better make sure I am on the very conservative end of the feed and speeds

Is there a place to buy the Harvey tools online? I have a local dist, but I would have to take off work to go by and place an order.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Is there a place to buy the Harvey tools online? I have a local dist, but I would have to take off work to go by and place an order.
    Do they not have a phone? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre' B View Post
    Do they not have a phone? ;-)
    What does a phone have to do with anything? I am looking for a place I can order the parts when it is convenient for me, not them.

How about you use a 1/16" endmill and program the radius. Their standard 2 flute is .250 LOC. Here they are for $3.50 2FL SE REG SQ I use this company for all my end mills. Carbide for the price of HSS and it is top quality stuff. Check out their threadmills.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    How about you use a 1/16" endmill and program the radius. Their standard 2 flute is .250 LOC. Here they are for $3.50 2FL SE REG SQ I use this company for all my end mills. Carbide for the price of HSS and it is top quality stuff. Check out their threadmills.

Scott
    Hey Scott I had to think about this a bit. Not sure what you mean about programming the radius? The 1/16 will work for the through holes I have as the actual diameter comes out to about .079...

I'll probably order from this site even though they have a $70 min order. I suspect I am going to break a few of these starting out

But I am curious about programming the radius if you don't mind expanding.

I had to do a similar job that needed a 0.56mm diameter with a 6mm length. I got them from Guhring (Guhring, Inc.) I'm looking at them now. They'll definately do a 1mm dia with the length you need and have branches all over the States.

Their catalogue is over 1600 pages!

I've got no contact with them- just a satisfied customer.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Hi Magnum
    I am assuming from the original post that you are talking about a 1mm radius on an inside corner. If this is true then you would want to use an endmill with a smaller radius and follow the contour. If you try and put the same size radiused cutter in a corner you will have too much cutter contact and are asking for chatter. These little endmills won't put up with much of that. I would probably drill undersized in the corner and remove most of the rest of the metal with a 1/8" or 3/16" endmill and then do my final profile pass with the 1/16th endmill. G1 moves approaching the corner and G2 or G3 around the radius and G1 away.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    Hi Magnum
    I am assuming from the original post that you are talking about a 1mm radius on an inside corner. If this is true then you would want to use an endmill with a smaller radius and follow the contour. If you try and put the same size radiused cutter in a corner you will have too much cutter contact and are asking for chatter. These little endmills won't put up with much of that. I would probably drill undersized in the corner and remove most of the rest of the metal with a 1/8" or 3/16" endmill and then do my final profile pass with the 1/16th endmill. G1 moves approaching the corner and G2 or G3 around the radius and G1 away.

Scott
    Scott. yes you are correct it is an inside. For most I can "fudge" on the actual radius. But a couple are actually faying surfaces and so I would need to go the route of smaller endmills.I had completely forgot that a 1mm radius would actually be a 2mm end mill, so a 1/16 should work fine. I will be ordering some of the 1/16 endmills from the site you listed so will be a bit before I can try it.

Harvey tools is a great tooling company, but only sell thru dealers. Best to call them, they'll direct you. Little on the pricy side

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Harvey tools is a great tooling company, but only sell thru dealers. Best to call them, they'll direct you. Little on the pricy side
    Yea I know. I just don't do phones..