586,531 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > DynaTorch > Problems with Interface Controller

Problems with Interface Controller

Hello All
    I am new to the CNC Plasma Cutting. I have a Older Version DynaTorch 5 x 10 table circa 2005 with an air handler table and a Hypertherm 1250 G3, SpeedAire Compressor with Refridgerator Dryer. I have been using the machine for a couple of months and it cuts very well. I added an OHMIC Sensor to the torch and have recently began to experience problems. The first problem was the THC. the Set Point Voltage would be set at say 149 cutting 10 gauge mild steel with a 40 amp tip. The arc voltage would fluctuate around 20 volts. I added a capacitor and it now stays within 1 volt. THC worked well at this point. Then one day I noticed that the Set Point Voltage to cut the above material i had to bump to 169 to keep the torch from hitting the metal. The ARC voltage remained within 1 volt of the Set Point Voltage basically it was a 20 volt increase to cut the same material. Then two days ago I notice that my ARC Voltage when the machine was idle read 149 when it should be 0 and when running went to 211 even though SP was set at 169. The Torch was very erratic and THC had to be turned off. I called Leon Drake and he said that I have an old Interface Box with a AVC fuse that may be blown. I checked and it was not. He also stated that the THC Motor may have gone bad. I checked it and according to Leon when disconnected I should have +++ in the ARC window which I did. From there I was told that I need to send the interface controller in. I am wondering if I may have caused the controller to fail. Has anyone experienced this and what was the cause and fix

Quote Originally Posted by AZBBQGrills View Post
    Hello All
    I am new to the CNC Plasma Cutting. I have a Older Version DynaTorch 5 x 10 table circa 2005 with an air handler table and a Hypertherm 1250 G3, SpeedAire Compressor with Refridgerator Dryer. I have been using the machine for a couple of months and it cuts very well. I added an OHMIC Sensor to the torch and have recently began to experience problems. The first problem was the THC. the Set Point Voltage would be set at say 149 cutting 10 gauge mild steel with a 40 amp tip. The arc voltage would fluctuate around 20 volts. I added a capacitor and it now stays within 1 volt. THC worked well at this point. Then one day I noticed that the Set Point Voltage to cut the above material i had to bump to 169 to keep the torch from hitting the metal. The ARC voltage remained within 1 volt of the Set Point Voltage basically it was a 20 volt increase to cut the same material. Then two days ago I notice that my ARC Voltage when the machine was idle read 149 when it should be 0 and when running went to 211 even though SP was set at 169. The Torch was very erratic and THC had to be turned off. I called Leon Drake and he said that I have an old Interface Box with a AVC fuse that may be blown. I checked and it was not. He also stated that the THC Motor may have gone bad. I checked it and according to Leon when disconnected I should have +++ in the ARC window which I did. From there I was told that I need to send the interface controller in. I am wondering if I may have caused the controller to fail. Has anyone experienced this and what was the cause and fix
    Have you tried taking the ohmic sensor off and the capacitor off as well and tried to run it? Basically set back to where it ran good. AV can be tough to diagnose. It could be the power supply (plasma) not opening. Just some thoughts. I don't have ohmic sensing or dash, I use the touch off and it tracks really well. It has never touched or dragged on the plate (unless a pierce blob stuck hard). It will hold AV within 1 or 2 volts. In order to run the ohmic sensor, did you update any software? Our machine had a glitch that was tied to software when we received it.

WSS

I did upgrade the software to 3.6. I did remove the sensor and it did not affect it. I also brought up the old software and the ghost voltage was still present. I also cleaned the plasma torch and the interface box today. This still had no effect. The arc voltage remained at 211 steady while cutting while the Set Point was at 169. I am going to speak with hypertherm about the issue to see if I can test the torch. It would be nice to isolate the problem.

AZBBQGRILLS,

Bad grounds as well as worn consumables can cause different arc volt readings. I do have an early model Dynatorch control left over from a dual drive upgrade I did on my Dynatorch. I am located in AZ as well. PM me if you are interested.

Magma-joe

Smile Purchased new interface console

So the problem was with in the interface console. I purchased the upgraded interface console form Dyna Torch and had it overnighted. I hooked it up and all was fixed. So after new installing the console i noted these characteristics that may indicate the interface console is going bad
    1. Ghost voltage in the ARC Voltage window even when machine is idle
    2. increase in SP from previous to cut the same material ie.. 149 to cut 10 gauge with a 40 amp tip to 169

I was really impressed with the new interface console. The plasma machine seams to be much more powerful. COuld this be possible? I am going to fine tune it today. :cheers:

I just upgrade to ohmic touch myself replacing an old dash system. The version 3.6 software upgrade caused my THC to go crazy. If I turn off the THC then it cuts well. I can use version 3.2 with the THC on. It must be a software or a setting issue in 3.6. I'm sure my controller is old as I have a single servo gantry. I guess I'll be calling Leon in the morning. Glad to hear you have your machine working.

THC Control

Funny you mentioned that. I did notice that my torch in the past when it moved down to pierce the metal it would make the pierce then adjust height for cutting. Now with the new controller it move in position to pierce but does seem to be a bit close when it does pierce and there is no adjustment after the pierce. I probably have a setting off. Let me know how it goes. I have the same system you have single gantry with upgraded box. As my box began to fail THC went crazy and my actual set point voltage went up by 20 to cut the same gauge metal. Good Luck

I am not sure about 3.2, but 3.4 and 3.6 have a thick plate pierce function. the box is in between the position read outs and the voltage read outs on the top of the window. Here you can control things like speed to cut height and delays and arc start/pierce height.

WSS

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    I am not sure about 3.2, but 3.4 and 3.6 have a thick plate pierce function. the box is in between the position read outs and the voltage read outs on the top of the window. Here you can control things like speed to cut height and delays and arc start/pierce height.
    Yeah, I played with that also. It didn't appear to make a difference. I'll look at it again.

I was cutting 2" circles in 0.25" plate, it would pierce and cut about 180 degrees before the torch was way too far off the plate. It's like the THC caused it to spiral out. The SP was 104 (100 amp machine) but when I looked at the control it was 150. It all happened very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Yeah, I played with that also. It didn't appear to make a difference. I'll look at it again.

I was cutting 2" circles in 0.25" plate, it would pierce and cut about 180 degrees before the torch was way too far off the plate. It's like the THC caused it to spiral out. The SP was 104 (100 amp machine) but when I looked at the control it was 150. It all happened very fast.
    If you right click it, it will bring up the settings box with all sorts of options. I know the machine moves along pretty fast with .25", so I would imagine it all happens fast.

WSS

Called Leon this morning. It took all of 30 seconds to get it fixed. Had to change the ohmic setting to Port C w/o Auto Retract due to the age of my controller. He also had me in-activate the input on Port G for the crash detector that I don't have. Works great now!

Quote Originally Posted by AZBBQGrills View Post
    So the problem was with in the interface console. I purchased the upgraded interface console form Dyna Torch and had it overnighted. I hooked it up and all was fixed. So after new installing the console i noted these characteristics that may indicate the interface console is going bad
    1. Ghost voltage in the ARC Voltage window even when machine is idle
    2. increase in SP from previous to cut the same material ie.. 149 to cut 10 gauge with a 40 amp tip to 169

I was really impressed with the new interface console. The plasma machine seams to be much more powerful. COuld this be possible? I am going to fine tune it today. :cheers:
    I'm curious to know what kind of difference you are seeing in the way the machine runs with the new interface console. I've got a single drive with the older interface. Leon told me once that the older ones have a 320 watt power supply while the new ones have 600 watts and it might be a worthwhile upgrade.
    www.modernironworks.com