586,094 active members*
3,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Owners and managers

owners and managers, what is your input regarding an unhappy, recent tech shool grad that does not want to learn a cad/cam software, that the boss will let you take the dongle home, basically own the software?

after 15 plus years, i still will take anything i can to advance myself. i just feel like i cannot get the young man to understand that a little effort can go a long way. Just wanted others feedback. thanks.

Had the same problem here- we needed to shift someone to cover machining with some serious maths involved- the chap just couldn't do it. We had to move him back to his old job and hire someone who could.

Perhaps your chap isn't confident about being able to learn the stuff.

I'd hire someone who was.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Sounds like the old horse to water thing.

I'd get a different horse. This one sounds more like a mule. LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Point him toward the door. Too many other people out there willing to learn to get or keep a job.

Definitely time to cut your losses. Anyone truly interested in this field should jump at an opportunity like that.

show him the door

I agree! If I wasn't given the same opp to take Gibbs and dongle home years ago, I would still be a welder! 7 years later I program 5 machines from a desk with upper managment benifits!

Lots of people out there willing to learn anything they can, thats why I'm on this forum! You can always learn

This has also happened to me. What did he go to tech for? If you want a welder to become a programmer........good luck, not many guys can handle it. Another issue is probably money.....did you offer him a raise?

I forgot to ask......how long has he been with you.

About 1 year. Nice 22/23 year old guy. Can't sweep in a reamer. Went to school for a two year machinast certificate. Thanks to all for the input. I am not his boss, but I was unsure if I was being to hard on him.

In that case.....I'd hit him with the ultimatum. Learn it or leave.

Perhaps you could "manage" this situation using a bit of psychology? It sounds like the chap isn't confident about the proposed project. It sounds like he's scared of failing.

Sit him down, perhaps over a beer or two, tell him why the company needs this skill, tell him that you think he's the person that is ideal for it, tell him that he'll benefit from it, the company will benefit from it.

Tell him you know it's difficult learning new stuff, but there's no rush, no pressure- youngsters hate being put to the test. If he's a good un, he'll dip his toes in the water and start swimming in no time.

Make sure you don't put a deadline on it- youngsters are used to having to get stuff learned by exam time. Tell him there's no exam.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Thanks for the input. I will pass it along. My only concern is that because he is a recent tech shool grad, he feels he should be setting up and programming. I do not mind going thru canned cycles and drill cycles, but if he cannot write them done and take notes, i just cannot imagine he will make it. I really want him to be an asset and help us grow. We will see how this week goes. Thanks again and take care.