586,116 active members*
3,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    aqh ok... anyway, it reminds me of a weird principle...

The concept of a vacuum tank!!:idea:

On a machine I was working on, we needed to boost the vaccum pickup. we were not able to position the vacuum valve at the proper place for some complex reasons, so we decided to put a vaccum tank. So now, what does contain a vacuum tank? When you think of it, this tank is full of .... nothing!

But it worked!

Anyway... let's not go to far off-topic and return to the subject at hand.

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you have air, then a pneumatic drill is very compact, although maybe a bit loud.

Amazon.com: MSI-PRO SM710 3/8-Inch Straight Pneumatic Drill with Keyed Jacobs Chuck: James Mask: Home Improvement

If all 3 spindles are mounted to one plate, don't they need to move independently to provide clearance? At my last job, two 10HP spindles were mounted to a single plate, and raised and lowered independently with pneumatic cylinders.

I don't know if you've seen it, but I have an on and off design thread for a 2 spindle router I hope to be building soon. Still making a lot of changes, although I have cut a few small parts.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ew_design.html
    Thanks, this answered a big question I had about how to control multiple spindles - e.g. multiple Z apparatus.

After mulling it over in my mind all afternoon, I decided I liked the idea of the air drill. I stopped by Harbor Freight Tools and picked up a cheep $12 air drill just to test the ability to drill through the deck material with the bits I use. No Problem. Loud, but no more than a 3HP PC!

Purchased a valve and an air drill off eBay. Pictures below. Valve is 110v as suggested, and the air drill is a new Florida Pneumatic heavy duty 1/4" air drill. No load RPM-2800.

Total spent so far - $91.
    If this works, I'll probably upgrade to more heavy duty parts, but they should do well enough for the test runs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails valve.jpg   airDrill.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tjskcnc View Post
    the company manually drilled their specialty boards and cut them as you suggest, but it's not as accurate as when cut from the same machine in the same setup at one time.
    Then something is wrong with the setup, i am an engineering guy and i work in the ten thousands of an inch.

Where you are doomed to failure given the required precision is a large machine built of of flimsy extrusion using steppers against what may be an industrial machine using servos.

First draft for Z-axis design

First draft for the Z-axis. Still a long way to go here, and plenty of room for improvement. Any constructive criticism welcome. Too tired tonight to do much more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg   front.jpg   back.jpg  

side_view.jpg   top_view.jpg  

maybe the ball screw is not the best choice, why don't use cylinder?

Smile

hi there, please check this one
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeO1927RqM0"]YouTube - CNC Router, cnc machine, cnc engraving machine[/nomedia] :rainfro:

Page 2 of 2 12