586,096 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > protecting CR rails from water?

protecting CR rails from water?

I just got my water table set up on a 4x4 and I using the homemade plasma quench recipe that came off another post. But I was wondering if folks do anything else to protect the rails and bearings from water. I mat not be a big issue but I was thinking about find some type of lubricant that I could wipe on them to perhaps help them
    any thoughts?

You can lightly oil them, wd40 usually does the trick. Some people will actually wax them. The bearings, I wouldn't worry about them. They are sealed and greased.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

I do just as Mike said to do.
    I spray a shop towel with WD40 and just give the rails a wipe to clean, protect and lightly lube them every so often.

Rail Protection

I also use WD40 on a shop rag to lightly coat the racks from rust. What I do when cutting pcs from flat bar and smaller pcs of left over plate or just cutting along the edges of a plate, is to place lengths of light guage material along side the pc being cut to keep the water from blowing up onto the gantry and all over the place. No mater what you do you will get a little water spray onto things, but I just take my additional air hose that I have available and blow off the gantry and racks if they get a substantial amount of water on them. The placement of pcs of scrap material alongside what I am cutting seems to be the best thing though. :-)