586,100 active members*
2,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > I want to try this shop organizing trick but not sure if insurance will have a prob?
Page 1 of 2 12

I want to try this shop organizing trick but not sure if insurance will have a prob?

There is this shop organizing trick I want to do where basically you take all your portable electric tools (hand drill, dremel, sawzall, grinder, battery charger, power washer and others) then chop the cords real short and put a new plug on them so they are exactly like an electric chainsaw or an electric snowblower. Being that I'm always running them through an extension cord anyway I'm sure the trick will work wonders not having to untangle tools from tools (or not having to wind and unwind the cord). The problem is someone told me some insurance companies have a problem when you do this and won't reimburse you if your house burns down if you've ever modded any of these things. Does anyone know anything about this?

I know that for a workshop, OSHA wants molded plugs on all power cords. No screw-on plugs. I don't know why, but it's probably because people might miswire them and start a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    I know that for a workshop, OSHA wants molded plugs on all power cords. No screw-on plugs. I don't know why, but it's probably because people might miswire them and start a fire.
    Well, speaking as a retired fire protection engineer, I will have to disagree with the last part of this statement. However, I will agree with the miswire part!

It is possible to miswire and not have a required ground fault protection to operate properly. And NO, I do not speak for OSHA (thank God)
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Here's a suggestion:
    Call your insurance carrier and ASK THEM.

Is it that hard to just wind the cord up properly or put each tool back in its case?(wedge)(chair):stickpoke

just kidding of course, but thats what i do, i just put my power tools back in the case they came in after each use, or for the few I own that dont have a case i neatly wind the cord up around them.
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

For many of the tools in my shop, it wouldn't be problematic to shorten the cord from the tool end - remove the cord from the tool, shorten, then reattach. No need for a new plug.

Why not just use cordless tools for the ones you use most.
    Unraveling a power washer cord once a month can't be all that much of a pain.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Why not just use cordless tools for the ones you use most.
    Unraveling a power washer cord once a month can't be all that much of a pain.
    Hoss
    Cordless tools suck. I wrote this months ago on Facebook. I think it's worth a repost here.

------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with devices operated by rechargeable batteries is that the batteries will never be charged when you need the device.

This happened to me again as I reached for my trusty Dewalt drill to put some holes in cast iron. It barely finished one hole after a lot of sweat and effort from me, and the battery went flat.

So I threw the battery on the charger and planned on spending the next few hours doing nothing as I waited for the pack to refill with electricity.

And then I remembered something. My sister had gifted me with a Makita drill. The old kind, with a power cord. I'd put it away and never thought about it again. Pulling it down, I chucked up the drill and got back to work.

Holy smokes. This thing blazed to life with at least three times the speed and ten times the power of my rechargeable Dewalt. With almost no effort the bit sank into the cast iron, finishing a three minute hole in seconds.

I'll be keeping the Makita and an extension cord within easy reach, and the Dewalt is going to be relegated to putting in drywall screws and the occasional offsite job.

Batteries suck. If you don't love AC you don't love me.

Interesting. One time I used a screw on type grounded plug. When I stripped the wires the plastic insulation stretched a lot but the copper wires didn't. Then I guess after several changes in the weathers temperature the plastic insulation unstretched leaving a lot more naked copper wire in the plug which shorted out.

It may be possible with some devices to shorten the existing cord by opening the case of the tool and pulling the cord through the strain relief to the desired length. The benefit is the factory molded plug is retained and no risk of using non-approved replacement screw on plugs.

Or coil/bundle the existing cords and use wire ties to keep them coiled/bundled. A little bulky but always short and neat.

With regards to the cordless tools, I only buy cordless tools that come with two batteries. One is always left in the charger and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprirs View Post

With regards to the cordless tools, I only buy cordless tools that come with two batteries. One is always left in the charger and ready.
    Same here, and the same batteries work for several tools that came in the set.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Cordless tools suck. I wrote this months ago on Facebook. I think it's worth a repost here.

------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with devices operated by rechargeable batteries is that the batteries will never be charged when you need the device.

This happened to me again as I reached for my trusty Dewalt drill to put some holes in cast iron. It barely finished one hole after a lot of sweat and effort from me, and the battery went flat.

So I threw the battery on the charger and planned on spending the next few hours doing nothing as I waited for the pack to refill with electricity.

And then I remembered something. My sister had gifted me with a Makita drill. The old kind, with a power cord. I'd put it away and never thought about it again. Pulling it down, I chucked up the drill and got back to work.

Holy smokes. This thing blazed to life with at least three times the speed and ten times the power of my rechargeable Dewalt. With almost no effort the bit sank into the cast iron, finishing a three minute hole in seconds.

I'll be keeping the Makita and an extension cord within easy reach, and the Dewalt is going to be relegated to putting in drywall screws and the occasional offsite job.

Batteries suck. If you don't love AC you don't love me.
    Speaking of Makita, I have four Makita cordless drills of various sizes and types and have never wanted for a drill ready to do lots of work. Up to driving a hundred 4" long stainless steel screws into lumber.

I am not even that good about popping the batteries on a charger. They just last that long these days and don't lose their charge if you ignore them for weeks or even months. And when they do need a charge, it takes less than 15 minutes these days.

You just need better tools.

Now, for a large half inch drill for mixing concrete or boring 3/4" holes, I do use a corded drill. Only because that's what it takes to make that much power.

I personally won't buy a corded tool if there isn't at lease 6 feet of cord on it.
    The reason the manufacturers all tried going to those ridiculously short cords is to safe a few pennies per item (let's say, a drill motor) and then they could sell you their color-matched and overpriced extension cord to go with it. Enough users complained when they did that with drill motors that nearly all the manufacturers went back to reasonable length cords.
    Besides, I figure that if the maker was too cheap to put a decent cord on the item, where else did they scrimp in the design?

where else did they scrimp in the design
    Very good point.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    I personally won't buy a corded tool if there isn't at lease 6 feet of cord on it.
    The reason the manufacturers all tried going to those ridiculously short cords is to safe a few pennies per item (let's say, a drill motor) and then they could sell you their color-matched and overpriced extension cord to go with it. Enough users complained when they did that with drill motors that nearly all the manufacturers went back to reasonable length cords.
    Besides, I figure that if the maker was too cheap to put a decent cord on the item, where else did they scrimp in the design?
    That's interesting, what circa was that when they went to short cords like that? How short were the cords? Now are you talking sawzalls, Drills, grinders and such or only the stuff that truelly needs it like leaf blowers and weed wackers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Here's a suggestion:
    Call your insurance carrier and ASK THEM.
    That sounds like it might be a bad move, if my house burns down those guys might be sifting through the ashes looking for modded power tools if I do that. I don't even want to call anonymously so they can be reminded of it. That's why I'm asking here.

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack_jeff View Post
    For many of the tools in my shop, it wouldn't be problematic to shorten the cord from the tool end - remove the cord from the tool, shorten, then reattach. No need for a new plug.
    That's what I'm thinking of doing, if only I can be confident it will still run when I get it all back together.

This has what to do with benchtop machines?
    Unless your insurance agent chimes in here with their policy rules
    you'd be a fool to risk it don't you think?
    Bill

My solution was a bit different.... I installed outlets every 32 inches in the shop and in places where there are benches I installed two rows outlets. Yes, a bit extreme but there are a few places in the shop where I wish there were a couple more outlets! There are also 3 extra 20 amp 220 outlets. No extension cords in the shop, it's great!

Robert

Live a little. Shorten the cords. Youre probably more likely to kill yourself than burn down the house as a result of replacing a plug.

Page 1 of 2 12