586,089 active members*
3,757 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Problem with TB6560 Boards/Computers

Problem with TB6560 Boards/Computers

I started out with the Chinese version from ebay that came with the power supply and steppers, yet all I could ever get to work was the Z axis, and one of the other axis' would lock up from the enable. I was able to switch around the motors and all the motors worked when hooked to the Z axis.

Wrote it off as a bad driver board and sent back to China in for repair, and then bought the TB6560 from cncgeeker.com to replace it for a while. I just got it wired up tonight and am having the exact same problem, but this time only the Y axis is working, and still only one other axis is locking up from enable. Curious, I checked the pinouts and on my first board Z axis used pins 4/5 for Z step/direction, and on my current board it uses pins 4/5 for Y step/direction. So basically the only inputs going across are 4/5 and two of the enables.

The parallel cable has also been tested and all pins are good.

I would be dead set as it being a computer problem, but I tried shorting the manual pins out, but again only Y will move. I have tried two separate computers, one a Dell 3300 and one a Dell 8300, both on EMC2. Is there possibly a setting in the computers parallel port that needs to be adjusted?

Thanks in advance!

Scheer,

1: I would shy away from using a laptop until you get the driver board operating correctly.

2: If you are having the same problems with the 8300 either the step & direction pins are not configured properly in EMC2 our your DB25 cable is not wired correctly i.e. straight through.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Scheer,

1: I would shy away from using a laptop until you get the driver board operating correctly.

2: If you are having the same problems with the 8300 either the step & direction pins are not configured properly in EMC2 our your DB25 cable is not wired correctly i.e. straight through.

Jeff...
    My bad, The computer is a 2400 desktop, not a 3300. All the pins are wired according to the manual, but the DB25 cable is strait through (If I was to plug the ends together, pin 1 of one end would touch pin 1 of the other end, for all pins). I assume you are meaning that it isn't supposed to be strait through? And if not, where could I find the correct pinout?

Scheer,

The cable should be wired straight through.

It sounds like the manual may not be correct.

Can you post the manual?

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Scheer,

The cable should be wired straight through.

It sounds like the manual may not be correct.

Can you post the manual?

Jeff...
    http://www.cncgeeker.com/images/manu...eCNCGeeker.pdf

On the 7th page.

I just checked voltages, and on my enables I get 3.3 volts on one, .23 volts on another, and no voltage on the last. However, when I tell it to move I get 5.5 volts on the step pin, and still 3.3 volts on the enable pin.

I completely forgot to mention that the led's do light up for each axis when I try to move it....

I went and checked all my voltages on the DB25 while the computer thought it was moving the axis.

X Step- .07
    X Dir- 3.3
    X Enable- .23

Y Step- .12 ( Saw 5.5 the first time, but could never repeat it)
    Y Dir- 3.3
    Y Enable- 3.3

Z Step- .12
    Z Dir- 3.3
    Z Enable- Nothing

I am really confused now, because Y and Z will both enable and lock up where there is resistance, yet I can't get a voltage on the Z enable pin. I guess it might have to do with the controller not being hooked up... X is the axis that does absolutely nothing, no sound, no movement, not locking up.

Let me know if there is any more info I can provide that might help.

Scheer,

The enable pins must have 5 volts d.c., you could try using a cheap 5 volt d.c. power supply from a cell phone to provide +5 volts to pins 8,9 and 14.

Configure the step and direction pins for active low.

Jeff...

Scheer,

The enable pins must have 5 volts d.c., you could try using a cheap 5 volt d.c. power supply from a cell phone to provide +5 volts to pins 8,9 and 14.

Configure the step and direction pins for active low.

Jeff...
    Wow I really should have thought about that! It didn't do anything at first, so I did all the enables active low as well, and then all BUT the Y worked, so I made Y enable active high and it works like a charm

I really appreciate the help Jeff!

The motors all hum even when not being driven now, is this an issue?

Scheer,

Sounds like you are making progress now.

The motors should lock up when the drives are enabled.

Motor humming is not a issue, applying excessive current is the only way to cause motor overheating and damage.

Do not switch the d.c. side of your power supply, it is very easy to blow up the stepper driver.

Switch off the A.C. side of the power supply.

Do not disconnect a motor with the power applied to the drive.

Do not apply more than 24 volts to the drive.

Jeff...

Scheer,

Sounds like you are making progress now.

The motors should lock up when the drives are enabled.

Motor humming is not a issue, applying excessive current is the only way to cause motor overheating and damage.

Do not switch the d.c. side of your power supply, it is very easy to blow up the stepper driver.

Switch off the A.C. side of the power supply.

Do not disconnect a motor with the power applied to the drive.

Jeff...
    Thanks again, good to know about the switch, I was planning on throwing a toggle switch on the DC side tomorrow morning lol, so you probably just saved me from having to buy a new driver board

Once again I appreciate all the help, it sure is a good feeling seeing it all work for the first time!

Scheer,

You are very welcome, more than happy to be able to help.

Have a most awesome weekend,

Jeff...

Scheer,

You are very welcome, more than happy to be able to help.

Have a most awesome weekend,

Jeff...
    Ran into an odd issue... It was working in the step config for EMC2, but trying it actually on EMC2 it would not work, and was back to only Y moving again. I inverted my enables back to where it wouldn't work on the step config and then it works on the actual program. Looks like it is simply a bug between the driver and the EMC2 software, too bad I had to be the one to find out about it haha.

Anyways, I zip tied a sharpie to it and drew the EMC2 logo thing that is loaded by default, took a bit of tweeking and guessing between the actual program and step config, but its all the correct steps per inch and everything now. Tomorrow I'll throw on a spindle and see how it fairs

I played with the Mach3 demo a while back, and man EMC2 is missing a lot of features! Its free tho, so I can't complain... but I think I'll be buying Mach3 really soon.

scheer i am haveing a problem allso so if you figer it out let me no by the way the one you got from china
    i got that now my y axle is acting up im going to right a post for help on it

but if you need 3 Axis TB6560 setup for china i got 3 defrent setup's lol
    i guess they make defrent's modals or something
    time do's not matter stoping it do's if you can stop time for one hour thin that hour would be forever

DC Side switch

Scheer,

I know I'm a little late to the party, here... I've read this a few times across the forums and I'm wondering why this is. I'm an amateur at the electronics. I don't have a DC-side switch but I'm trying to learn as much as possible (I'm building a HobbyCNC driver). What happens when my DC-side fuse blows?

Thanks.

/Daryl

My best guess at what they are saying is that the problem is due to the inductance of the windings of the stepper motor(s) and its effect on the voltage when a flowing current is interrupted.

The voltage V across an inductor is given by the formula V = L * di/dt (where L is the inductance, i is the current through the inductor, t is time, and di/dt is the rate of change of current with time.

So, imagine switching the current through the inductor from some steady-state value to zero (such as you would have by blowing a fuse in the DC supply line or otherwise breaking the circuit). The change in current is very abrupt, so di/dt is very large, and so consequently the voltage V can be very large. If you get a large, short voltage spike, it can blow up sensitive devices such as transistors and ICs.

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    My best guess at what they are saying is ...
    I'm sure your guess is better than mine! Thanks for the info...

/Daryl