586,094 active members*
4,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Trying to fill lofted sufaces

Trying to fill lofted sufaces

Hi,

Ive been drawing curves around a dxf mesh all day and making lofted surfaces to represent it.

Now I need to make it into a solid, and can't.

I've attached a picture so you can see what i'm trying to do. Please help me before I lose all my hair!

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails horsey.jpg  

to make your loft into a solid the surfaced body must be a manifold [basically it must have every side filled in so that it would hold water.

From the picture it looks like there is lots of area that is open so this needs to all be closed off before it can be made into a solid.
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks,

I have a problem with the surface on the front of the body here- I want it to join up to the base of the neck, but the curve at the neck base is closed and I only need a portion of it when construting this surface.

What should I do? I wish I could cut the curve that forms the base of the neck, but do't know how.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails horsey2.jpg  

similar problem around the horses nostril
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails horsey3.jpg  

not sure if I understand correctly but you might be able to use a boundry surface or a fill surface. Also you can use the selection manager to make a loft to only a part of a line or edge. If you right click on the edge you want to loft to, and click selection manager in the pop up menu you can grab the edge and even drag the edge selection to get the proper selection.

hope that helps..
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the response.

I've gone into the lofted surface tool, then right clicked to open the selectin manager but can't seem to select only a part of the edge.

Are you able to shw me an example please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails horsey 8.jpg  

Well it's something that needs to be played w/ to fully understand. I've included a copy of the help files, it's about as good as it gets as far as being able to help w/out sitting right there doing it w/ ya.

It looks like the one edge is a closed loop? If that is the case, and your trying to loft that to an open loop your going to have issues [just another possibility?]

Hth
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JerryFlyGuy

WHat you want to do is "split" the surface, to have edges to match the loft your going to... You could use "split Lines" to acheive this, but the split tab can use various other methods... Use help-Split and see if it can show you...