586,108 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mori seiki mill with a spindle problem

i have a mori seiki mv 35/40 vertical mill and the spindle is doing goofy things, this machine ran fine until it was moved. we got it on the floor and installed a new encoder for the y axis on the back (a moron pushing a cart broke it), it homes out and comes up fine, but when you orient or try to give the spindle a command it jumps around as if it it fighting it self, it will turn on at the correct speed after a bit, but has no torque, i can grab the holder with my hand and make the load meter go over 120%, when you press the orient button it jerks back and forth, about half a revolution and the sensor is visible and if i grab the spindle and hold it on the sensor it will orient and the light will come on, but it will still try to move and the load meter still goes up and down. this is not a geared head it is dc, has a yasnac mx1 control/yaskawa electronics

As you have just relocated it, the very first thing that
    comes to mind is check the powers phase rotation.
    look at the coolant pump there is usually a correct
    rotation arrow on it.

the power is hooked up correctly, the motors all work and pumps turn correctly, we can dry run the machine, its just the spindle giving me a problem

Check all connectors/plugs on drives and amps,check fuses for single phasing.
    sometimes things come loose in the elect. cabinet when being moved......

Also, not sure if this could happen but....if the new electrical drop you are using is slightly higher in voltage, maybe you need to tune your spindle drive (gains)???
    How long was it "un-plugged" for????? perhaps you have lost a piece of data or it has been corupted by the loss off power. I had a windows based system do that to me, when it was left powered down over night, we could'nt figure out why half our set up was gone.....
    menomana