586,094 active members*
3,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > gibbscam how good is it

gibbscam how good is it

hi guys i am thinking buy gibbscam i just wanted to get some opinions how it compares to hypermill , powermill, mastercam etc, if you could help that would be great thanks

I anyday prefer Mastercam, but am not saying the other softwares are not good but it is that the MCAM is lot simple and feels like you are using just a modeling software but yet you working on a CAM package. Just give it a try, I think it is more about you getting comfortable with the software. I started with MCAM X2 and now am using MCAM X4 and I feel its great.

gibbcam

hi thank you for your opinion anybody gonna stand up for gibbscam or any other
    cheers

Re: CAM compares

Quote Originally Posted by ant17 View Post
    hi guys i am thinking buy gibbscam i just wanted to get some opinions how it compares to hypermill , powermill, mastercam etc, if you could help that would be great thanks
    Remember all CAM softerware are similar idea with strengths and weaknesses, but only GibbsCAM is very easy to learn and do good job, especially gibbsCAM can customize good POST, very fast and wonderful. Remember good POST and Good program: Good Post, Good Program - Windows Live

I have used both mastercam and gibbscam and can say without a doubt gibbscam is far easier to learn. Everything is graphical i.e. drag and drop, mastercam has this "dos shell" looking interface that always seems dated to me. Regardless of what you will hear from users and resellers they (mastercam and gibbscam) both do the same things. Even the tool path and post engines are essentially the same. The only difference is going to be the UI. I wouldn't recommend listening to us though, I suggest you give your resellers a call and arrange a demo. Hell, make them give you a timed trial license.

imho Gibbs has the most powerful post processor Compost3 although it is extra $ addon. I'm also very fond of the "utility marker" feature. It allows you to mill along the z axis so for hi-performance coolant fed drills you can vary the feed and speed anywhere along the path.

I am a huge fan of GibbsCAM, but as double a-ron says - arrange a demo from the local reseller. However, take it one step further and have them do your part. Every reseller has a canned demo designed to wow their potential customers. But at the end of the day, you need to know how easy it is to do your part. And, GibbsCAM can give you trial software as well as a money back guarantee.

gibbscam

hi guys thanks for your info i will try a demo and see what i think

also how does hypermill compare to gibbscam

Also for Mastercam info see "the real cost of mastercam" post. In the Mastercam section. Lots of info on the hidden cost of MC.

John

I use Gibbs Cam and it is easy to learn. I was a welder that got a chance to learn CNC. I got 3 weeks G code training and got turned loose on it. The main programer left and I just read the manuals and played with the Cam to figure it out. I can only imagine what I could do with it with some training!

Gibbs Cam

I am currently looking to purchase Gibbs Cam for my lathe work only. Currently have Surfcam for the Mill (Satisfied). Can anyone comment on Gibbs for the lathe??

I own a seat of Gibbs and have used MasterCam for 7 years. They both have strengths and weaknesses. There are some things that you can do with MCAM, like some side milling approaches and a really good helical boring routine. There are some things that are a lot easier and intuitive to do in Gibbs, like the toolpath processes and the drag and drop function of the program. I'd compare Gibbs to an apple computer and MasterCam to a PC. There are a million settings in MCAM and it is more like a windows program in it's operation. Gibbs is very much more intuitive, easier to learn, and easier to use IMHO, but it has a lot less settings and not all the features of MCAM. I have used Gibbs for 3D surfacing for 10 years in my business doing prototyping and bike parts. I've had no problems, but I know it very well and can work around it's limitations.

It's up to you to know exactly what you need out of the program. If I was beginning a shop of my own I'd go with Gibbs. If I was planning on running a business, I'd go with MCAM because it's easier to find people with experience on it.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

I have been using Gibbs for about 14 years and as Pondo says it is very intuitive.
    When training a new user(machinist), I find I only spend a couple of hours to get someone working and posting programs on their own.

This is how much I like Gibbscam: I have a machinery sales company and do contract work for companies looking to fully automate or just need programming help. I was a mastercam guy and needed a post for a machine, after waiting 6 months and still not having anything I did some research gave Gibbs a shot and they came in and posted to the 7 axis machine with no errors in about an hour. I am no an authorized Gibbs reseller. It is hands down the easiest, most efficient system out there. The only thing I think mastercam does better is tool library. I think just for the fact it doesn't freeze up all the time because it's a Windows based program is enough for me to switch.

gibbscam

hi guys thanks for your input