586,117 active members*
3,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Repairing G540 ?

Hi all!

I am currently building my machine, (router) and right now I am waiting to see all the mechanisms built to confirm my calculations about torque requirements and motor/drive specifying...

I will most probably buy a G540. I find it elegant, simple to put in service and the more I read about Gecko in general, I feel that the products and the company are very well respected in this circle

My only slight concern about the G540 is this: if I fry one drive channel, can it it be repaired? sent for service? (a nightmare I guess to get the stuff back and forth accross the border)...

The question applies for any other model by the way...

On the other hand, frying a component usually happens during initial startup or if the unit is misused or specified wrong for the task.

Comments?

Luc

The G540 has 4 G250's inside. I believe you can by a new G250 and plug it right in. Or, send it to Gecko and let them do it. And if you screw it up, they'll usually fix it for free ONE time.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Having an extra drive saved me on a project. It took some trouble shooting to determine it was a defective drive. I just swapped the unused A axis with a defective X Axis. I'm sending the defective unit back this week.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_luke View Post
    Hi all!

I am currently building my machine, (router) and right now I am waiting to see all the mechanisms built to confirm my calculations about torque requirements and motor/drive specifying...

I will most probably buy a G540. I find it elegant, simple to put in service and the more I read about Gecko in general, I feel that the products and the company are very well respected in this circle

My only slight concern about the G540 is this: if I fry one drive channel, can it it be repaired? sent for service? (a nightmare I guess to get the stuff back and forth accross the border)...

The question applies for any other model by the way...

On the other hand, frying a component usually happens during initial startup or if the unit is misused or specified wrong for the task.

Comments?

Luc
    Word to the wise, buy some extra fuses when you buy the drive. The part number is floating around here somewhere. I've wired all kinds of stuff including building my own guitar amps (which work perfectly), but I still managed to hook up the polarity in reverse when I didn't have a fuse. 2 days from Mouser, and it never would have happened if I had the replacements already

And luke remember that you'll need the current set resistors too, 1K per amp.
    Jeff Birt

I've wired all kinds of stuff including building my own guitar amps (which work perfectly),
    You built a guitar amp with a G40!!!
    I am being silly of course, we all know that the best guitar amp are built with glass envelope LEDs!! For some reason they don't glow very bright, but they sound gooooooood!
    Luc, with tongue firmly stuck in the left cheeck!