586,106 active members*
2,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > This might be a very stupid question.

This might be a very stupid question.

Hi,

I'm new to the fanuc world, very new. I create parts and products in SolidWorks and I have just been asked to create parts for a Fanuc OM Series and have no idea how to do this. Does it accept a specific type of files or do I have to create these X and Y coordinates for it, in that case maybe SolidWorks can do it? I really don't know how to do this and would appreciate and answers or directions of what I should look for?

/André

Read a book.
    Explaining so many things, starting from the beginning, is not practicable.
    In any forum, usually only specfic questions are answered.

Apparently some people can't be bothered...

You need to create a program for the machine which uses ISO code consisting of a series of address commands. These commands vary depending on what you are trying to do.

If you have the operator manual, you will find in it a list of G codes which are the machine function commands such as feed, rapid traverse, circular interpolation and so on. There are usually also G codes for predefined cycles such as drilling and tapping.

The machine will also have a number of M codes which are used to command auxiliary functions such as starting and stopping the spindle, turning on the coolant etc. These are specific to the machine builder, but are reasonably similar from one builder to the next.

Machine positioning is performed using axis addresses such as X, Y & Z. Like the other codes, these are used with a number which defines the position (eg. X150.000). Learning to program can be very daunting, especially if you are trying to teach yourself.

You should be able to get a CAM package to go with your solidworks program, which will do all the hard work for you. You just need to load the correct post-processor to suit your Fanuc OM control (may find one online if not included with CAM software). You then generate the program and upload it to your machine.

,Oz

Try this link for more information:
    MFET 275 - CNC Applications

Sinha