586,096 active members*
3,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Help Needed - Motors not running

Hello all,

I am a newbie to CNC, trying to make a small router.

I have been trying to run my 10 kg.cm stepper motors via parallel port through Mach3 software. But motor is not running. When the power is turned ON the motor gets holding torque, but it is not running through software. The installation of Mach software was done properly and also the driver test resulted "excellent". Everything done as per Mach3 pdf manual and happened properly so far. Also check my wiring diagram.

Please help me sort out this problem that has left me clueless.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STEPPER WIRING DIAGRAM.JPG  

I think you need a signal ground (return) wire from the stepper drivers to the parallel cable.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnmac View Post
    I think you need a signal ground (return) wire from the stepper drivers to the parallel cable.

John

Dear John,

Thanks for your reply, would you be kind enough to tell me where this signal ground wire to join? I understand in parallel port pin 18 to 25 are short and they should be used as ground. But where should I join the other end of the ground wire i.e. in stepper driver?

From the diagram, I'm not sure. It may share the ground with the power supply, but I don't recommend trying that without knowing for sure.

John

OK, this is a guess. The ENA may be the ENABLE and the OPTO may be the logic ground.

John

Do you have documentation for the drivers? That is the first step.

The GND needs to be connected. Take a photo of a driver for us if you have no manual.

Look at the diagnostics page on Mach3 and read the Mach3 manual regarding setup.
    Clear Mach3 status line, try to move and see what it says.
    Is Mach3 in emergency stop mode?
    Are the jog keys enabled?
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Hello all,

Here is the copy of manual.

The retailer tells me I have to give precise 5V to opto connection.

Is that correct? will this make the motors run?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

You need +5v connected to OPTO on each driver. They can all be connected together.
    Then the 0v (negative of 5v supply) needs to be connected to pin 18 on the parallel port.
    Use a 5v plugpack and no resistors are required. figure two in section 4 of the manual. Ask an electronics expert if unsure, so you do no damage.
    For other than 5v you need extra circuitry between the parallel port and the drivers, so the 12v and 24v information is not applicable for direct connection to the parallel port.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Some cell phone chargers have a regulated 5v output. Cheap and easy.

John

Dear John and Neil,

Thank you both for your support. Please check my corrected circuit diagram, I have shown the +5v to opto. What I didn't understand was, where do I connect the negative of this 5v, i.e. one end to pin 18 on parallel port but where should the other end of that wire go? Should I connect it to enable?

I am sorry if I sound stupid, but available connectors on driver are exactly as I have shown in diagram.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STEPPER WIRING DIAGRAM2.JPG  

+5v is correct
    Now run the negative from the 5v supply to pin 18 above it.

Dear Neil,

Please check my circuit diagram and confirm.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STEPPER WIRING DIAGRAM2.JPG  

Do you have your step and direction pins setup properly?? You don't appear to be setting them up like most of us do.

Typically, for X, most use pin 2 for step and pin 3 for direction. For Y, 4 and 5, and so on

You're using 2,3 and 4 for step, and 5,6 and 7 for direction.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dear Gerry,

I have been following Mach config pdf blind foldly to avoid any error or confusion. As per page 5-4, section 5.3.1 shows screen with these setting (2,3,4 for pulse and 6,7,8 for direction), hence I have kept the same.

Do you think that could be the problem?

Thanks

As long as the setup in Mach matches the way you wired it, it should work.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Use the jog keys on X and keep moving left and right, with a multimeter on the X direction signal. (pin 6).
    As you change direction one way, the voltage should change from zero to 5v, and 5v to 0 as you go the other way.

Dear Neil,

I have checked for the change in 5 volts, but there was no change in voltage as informed by you. I have a doubt, should i provide a separate earthing to the pins 18-25 or the body earth of the computer is sufficient. I am driving my PC through UPS.

Thanks

No. Just check pin 18 to the chassis of the PC. It should connect.

You have a problem with Mach3 not outputting signals where they should.

Use the diagnostics page and try to figure out what is wrong.
    Is the port address correct? Use some of the inputs, to verify on diagnostics page.

While that doesn't work, the steppers sure won't
    If it is emergency stop it won't either.

Go through the steps in the mach3 manual, and make sure the port is enabled, and set to epp in the BIOS.

Dear Neil,

I have checked the parallel port, it is enabled and the resource tab has the same value as shown in Mach3 port setup. However in device manager, it refers LPT1 port as ECP printer port and not EPP as mentioned by you. Could this be problem? I have no idea how to change it to EPP.

Thanks

Dear Neil,

I have somehow managed to changed the parallel port to EPP in bios. I will update the outcome later on. Meanwhile send in suggestion, if you have anymore.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123