586,389 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Any pointers for building a DIY machine table?

Any pointers for building a DIY machine table?

Hi gang,

I'm looking to pick up the "deluxe" benchtop mill and 11x26" lathe from Grizzly. This is for my home shop so as far as a machine table I'd like it to be nice-looking and rigid. Grizzly offers stands for these machines but they seem crude, and once you factor in shipping, well overpriced.

Soooo I've been considering building my own. Right now I feel I could use a lot of feedback on the design, materials and construction method.

Table size 96" x 24". This is the same size as the two other benches in my shop and I want them all to look the same. The benchtop will be made of either 0.25" 6061 aluminum plate or a 1.5" maple butcher block top with the machines mounted to base plates. (Would base plates be necessary for those Grizzly 350-500 lb machines? My old setup was mounted to a metal table.) Since I'm in earthquake country, the machines will have to be bolted to the table, and the table to the floor.

For the legs, diagonal members and stringers I was planning to use 2" x 0.065" wall square tube A36 hot roll steel. Would this be a suitable material? I can tack weld it together myself but would like to hire someone to finish welding it up (looks issue).

My shop floor is sloped and uneven. So I was considering using a 360° laser level and stacking 1/8" shims to make four foot pads all at the same level (to within the 1/8") to build the bench on to help ensure the finished product is true and square. Once finished I'd probably level it with conventional machine leveling feet.

What's the best way to start building something like this? With one of the legs and build outward? Start by building the table top frame and then attaching the legs? Some other way I'm not seeing?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm unsure of materials suitability (strength, rigidity), construction method and even the most efficient method of cutting the steel. (So far the plan is to use the 4x6 band saw and truing the angles on the mill.)

One last thing... recommendations for a metal supplier would be welcome too. I'd be looking at around 18-20 pieces of 8' length square tube. These run about $20 each from onlinemetals.com plus $160 total UPS freight shipping to my door. Materials cost alone will be approaching the $1,000 mark, including the butcher block or aluminum top.

PS: Quick and dirty drawing done in Visio. The longer diagonal members work out to appx 52" in length and the shorter diagonals work out to appx 31" in length.

Have you considered building out of wood? I built something similar in size to yours using doubled up 2.4s for the legs (every 2ft) and 2x6s for the table top support. For the top I used some 1" melamine covered particle board table tops from a local home store. It makes for a nice and sturdy bench. I am planning to put a 10x22 lathe on it and I am confident it will handle it nicely. I think I have less than $250 and 10 hours in it.

bob

Thanks for the anecdote. I haven't really considered wood yet but will throw it on the decision tree for the heck of it. Enco is having a sale on some of their machinery and right now their pricing blows Grizzly out of the water, and raises the possibility of a 12x36 or 13x40 lathe and one of the larger gear-head benchtop mills.

I've been planning this shop installation since January and so far the only thing that's happened is that the floor has been epoxy coated. On the brighter side, by the time I purchase the equipment I'd have shopped it to death and theoretically will receive the best deal possible. ;-)