586,058 active members*
4,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Thumbs up Shocking experience with "York Laser" Laser Engraver

I recently purchased a new 80w co2 laser from YorkLaser in China.
    The company were most helpful and promised to provide technical support as required. When the unit arrived the fun started. (luckily i have extensive engineering experience as the build quaility is shocking). The first issue was that a foot fell off as w lifted the unit off the pallet (the welding was one-sided). then i found that they forgot to pack the 1200mm x 900mm honeycombe cutting bed. The third issue was that the Laser beam was firing into the first mirror 8mm above centre. There is no available adjustment for this. I managed to calibrate the beam through the cutting head but the power was down by 50%. I wrote to York Laser and enclosed photos of the mis-match. They responded with "do not try to fix, laser may still work". I cut my own spacer from 8mm acrylic to raise the primary mirror block up, then re-calibrated the beam and had twice the power. During calibration noticed that the lens appeared to have damaged coating. I had ordered a spare lens with the machine luckily so i installed that. Then i found that the beam was cutting off-square. To fix that i had to remove the cutting head mounts and slot 3 holes to get enough adjustment. Then i found that the rise and full bed was 10mm lower on the right hand side. I had to remove the belts driving the threaded rods to level the table & thats when i found all the fresh swarf still emdedded in the threads! Once i rectified the above issues I decided to test the rotary attachment. First issue: nowhere to plug it in!
    the machine is fitted with a 4 axis controller but only 2 stepper motor controllers had been fitted for x & y axis. I wrote to york Laser with my concerns and requested a replacement lens & another stepper motor controller for the u axis. The response: "just unplug the y axis & plug rotary attachment into that". Then i discover that the software was written in the 1900's! It is diabolical. During testing the led focus unit died. I wrote to York again requesting a replacement lens, extra stepper controller, replacement led unit and pointed out that my honeycombe table had still not arrived, but now york will not respond to my emails (i have sent 3 in the last 2 weeks). I have been dealing with "Richael" & have no other email address so if anyone here has contact info for the company manager or similar that would be most helpful.

It sounds like you had a 'normal' experience, ok maybe slightly worse than average but certainly not unusual.

It is just fortunate that you have the skill set to fix these issues and don't have a door stop.

I know that doesn't help since you expected a plug and play system but really you shouldn't since the cost was probably 20% of the major brand.

Good luck getting the replacement parts, I think York will work it out with you but be patient as it usuallly takes a while.

Zax.

Unhappy york laser

thanks Zax.
    I probably paid closer to 30% less, but i regret that now.
    Do you know of any better software available to run on these chinese lasers?

Kelvin.

What software do you have?

I would expect it to have a direct driver for Corel etc, is this not the case?

Zax.

software

the software is just called laserwork, but when i click on the help tab it displays "about RDCAM".
    It came with a driver to interface with corel draw, but whenever i tried to use it the whole computer would lock up.

Kelvin.

Wow! That's MUCH worse than the usual experience. I just had some trouble with the mirrors when mine got here and the tube was smashed to bits. And my crate was busted open and looked like it went on an African safari. Here it is on my deck as delivered by DHL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ropebox.jpg  

York laser

My crate survived ok. But i forgot to mention that I could not use the rotary attachment because it kept snapping the stems of the wine flutes. When i investigated further i found that the chuck was pointing uphill and the centre of the tailstock was 6mm below the centre of the chuck!! I dismantled the chuck assembly to straighten the mounting plate and found that there were no grub screws in any of the pulleys for the belt drive!
    I attached some pics for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser-alignment2.jpg   mount.jpg   no-grub-screws.jpg   york-box.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by klevabuga View Post
    the software is just called laserwork, but when i click on the help tab it displays "about RDCAM".
    It came with a driver to interface with corel draw, but whenever i tried to use it the whole computer would lock up.

Kelvin.
    If you are using Windows 7 then that is likely the cause, or with Vista it may be due to other print drivers you have loaded.

I have found a clean install of XP to be the best for compatibility.

Zax.

york laser

Thanks TME i'll give that one a try.

Kelvin.

york laser software

I built up a fresh computer specificly to run this engraver.
    It is running XP pro SP3 without any printer attached, therefore i have not installed any printer drivers. I tried 3 different versions of Corel draw but all gave the same result. I just use Flexisign 7 and Photoshop cs3 for my design work now, then import it into Laserwork. It would be nice to be able to locate a driver for Flexisign to interface directly with the engraver.

Kelvin.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by klevabuga View Post
    ...It would be nice to be able to locate a driver for Flexisign to interface directly with the engraver.
    I thought that too - so purchased the LinkMotion software which is a print-driver. It took a lot of effort on my part :violin: to make it work in place of Lasercut, and I had lots of email correspondence with Dhiren Shah (who posts here sometimes).

The end result? I hardly ever use it - because it cannot send files that include engraving as well as cutting at the same time.
    This is a standard feature even of the crappy Lasercut, yet a USA company like LinkMotion can't do it...:bat:

For the work I do this is a 'must have' feature on a laser and Dhiren promised me a free upgrade to the next version when he emailed me this:

"We are going ahead with combining vector and raster in a single job. We will send you a spec for your comments before we start. Your upgrade to the feature will be free."

That email was In January of 2009, and shortly after that Dhiren, and LinkMotion, dropped all contact with me apart from a couple of advertorial emails by 'Jennifer' - who also didn't reply when I responded to them.

(Perhaps Dhiran - or someone else at LinkMotion - told her not to bother because they already had my money...)(chair)

I've sent several emails since then, off and on for nearly 2 years - but just like the Chinese companies who don't want to know you after they have your money, LinkMotion will not reply to my emails.
    (nuts)(flame2)

Bob

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything from York Laser in the last 10 days? Despite numerous emails to enquire about my laser I have not received a reply. I'm starting to be very concerned and I'm really stuffed if I don't receive the laser.

Michael

Michael,

Sorry to hear that, I am sure you don't need the additional stress.

Have you tried calling them, Skype or direct if you have a suitable BT plan?

If you don't have any luck send me a PM with your order number or their quote reference and I will have my resources in China contact them. (flame2)

Zax.

The situation just improved immensely :cheers:. I got a reply from York saying they have had problems with their enterprise mail system so both inbound and outbound messages have been blocked. I got the airway bill and I can see that the laser has arrived at Heathrow airport and is ready for collection. I just need the details for the shipping agent so I can arrange delivery to my home address.

Hopefully others awaiting a response will get one but it might be worth sending a new email to: [email protected]

Excellent news! You can sleep again

Zax.

That is a good email and they are quick to respond with it.

Unhappy Still no contact

I have had no reply from them yet.
    I will send another email today.

Dear friends,

This is YorkLaser team and we just got the cnc zone information from our client Mr.Michael saying that we are "POP" here now for the problems caused to you.
    We are shocked to read all of these words and we are very guilty for all. Since we do not know anything of the problems descriped above. We met some problems with our enterprise mail system.

But please do not worry,we will take the responsbility for all. Please feel free to contact us any time by the following ways:
    Email:[email protected]
    [email protected]

We remain.
    YORKLASER

Angry Still no response from York Laser.

Please do not make claims in this forum that you have no intention of honoring Responsibility.

"But please do not worry,we will take the responsbility for all. Please feel free to contact us any time by the following ways:
    Email:[email protected]"

I have sent 6 requests for support to the above email address since your last post but have had NO reply to any of them. I now have a machine which was shipped minus the honeycombe cutting table, i have spent countless hours having to repair manufacturing faults myself, The lens it shipped with is faulty, and now the focus led unit has died. WHERE is my SUPPORT???
    I know you are receiving my emails so please have enought decency as a company to reply to me and support the machine I paid good money for.

Page 1 of 3 123