586,121 active members*
3,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Reverse spindle direction for angle head.
Page 1 of 2 12

Reverse spindle direction for angle head.

How can i get a specific tool to go in reverse when drilling/milling/tapping etc on Fanuc 18i TB?
    I had a way on a older fanuc, 6m i think, there we had a parameter to change direction on tools.
    I have tried searching in the book but can't find any solution.

M3 spindle CW
    M4 spindle CCW

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    M3 spindle CW
    M4 spindle CCW

Stevo
    Haha not excactly what im after Since tapping cycle is only going CW i would need some kind of parameter to make it go CCW, M4 wont do the work, i could make a subprogram for it but would need floating tap for that.

Lol….I kind of ass u med but you know what they say about that.

Ok you may have to explain what exactly you mean. If you are looking to tap yes you have to reverse the spindle but this is handled with the tapping cycle G84.

G84R()Z()

If your machine has rigid tap you will need a M29 before or in the G84 line.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    Lol….I kind of ass u med but you know what they say about that.

Ok you may have to explain what exactly you mean. If you are looking to tap yes you have to reverse the spindle but this is handled with the tapping cycle G84.

G84R()Z()

If your machine has rigid tap you will need a M29 before or in the G84 line.

Stevo
    G84 is the normal cycle for tapping isn't it? So when G84 Z-10 it will go CW into the hole then CCW out, i need to make it go CCW in and CW out.
    Think there's normally a specific cycle for that kind of tapping that we don't have. That's why im looking for a parameter to make T20 go CCW when M03.

Ahhh..I guess I never really thought about it much as I never had to tap in reverse. A few things. Maybe try starting your spindle with M4 before the G84 tap cycle instead of M3.

A quick look through the manual and I came across a few parameters dealing with spindle control. I did not have a chance to really look into the meaning of them so do your DD before changing. Parameters 5203.1 and 5205.2

Stevo

I will try some things during the week.
    The other machine i worked at you had to push a button think it was named macro, from there you could find all the rotary tools on the turret and then change the direction. Can't find that on this machine, but there has to be some kind of parameter.
    On one machine we can't drill reverse but tap and mill, on this we can't tap but drill and mill reverse :S
    Could make a macro of it, not quite sure if it would synchronize the spindle, never tried it before.

Seems if you just programmed it as if it were a left hand tap it should work, check your manual but I think it may be a G74.

I did read something about G74 as Andre stated. Worth trying.

Why write a macro if you can just use a M4 before the tapping cycle? The macro is going to do nothing different except use M4 instead of M3.

Stevo

Had a look at the tapping cycles today.
    G84 is only for Z direction, if i remember correctly M4 worked, but not what im after since i want tapping in X direction.
    Then i found out that G88 is for X direction, when entering M4 before G88 it would go CCW in and CCW out then do CW stop
    So how to get it to go CW out?
    Can't find any othet G codes or anything to make it go as i wan't, G74 gave me plane selection error. (i think)

Quote Originally Posted by ProToZyKo View Post
    Can't find any othet G codes or anything to make it go as i wan't, G74 gave me plane selection error. (i think)
    Have you tried selecting another plane. When cutting in the X direction, I can well imagine that you would get a plane selection error, because G74 is left hand tapping, and in the default plane G17, the control would be looking to feed along the Z axis. Try G18, I have the same control on a machine, I'll try it next time I'm there.

Regards,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Have you tried selecting another plane.
    Bingo.

Stevo

Tried G18 on G74, that gave me "Illegal command in G71-G76"
    G74 X850. R-10 C0 M11
    Any othe suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ProToZyKo View Post
    Tried G18 on G74, that gave me "Illegal command in G71-G76"
    G74 X850. R-10 C0 M11
    Any othe suggestions?
    That error message would indicate that G74 on your machine is not a tapping cycle but more likely an End Face Peck Drilling Cycle. It would appear that G74 for tapping is a machining center dedicated command, the same as G90 on a mill is absolute and on a lathe a canned cycle.

G88 is the side rigid tapping cycle, but I see in one of your previous post that you tried that with M04 and got CCW in and out.

You could try setting bit 2 of parameter of 5205. With this bit set the rotation of the tool returning from the bottom of the hole will be CW, but there is a warning that if rigid tapping is to be used then this bit should not be set, as damage to the tap, work piece, or machine may result. However, I believe that this warning is given on the basis that a CW rotation on the way in was expected. Try this parameter change with the G88 cycle, as this cycle is definitely designed fro side tapping, and use M04 as you had before. If this works, I'm fairly sure that a User Macro could be written to change this parameter on the fly. Accordingly, store this and call it with a user defined M code any time you need to use it. Probably getting ahead of ourselves with that last comment; see if the G88 with parameter change works first.

Regards,

Bill

Since we are talking live tools on a lathe, can't you just set for right angle/face tool? That would reverse the spindle. I know Mori has settings in the custom page just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Since we are talking live tools on a lathe, can't you just set for right angle/face tool? That would reverse the spindle. I know Mori has settings in the custom page just for that.
    That's what im after, can't find anything like that, im used to that from a mori lathe myself.

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    That error message would indicate that G74 on your machine is not a tapping cycle but more likely an End Face Peck Drilling Cycle. It would appear that G74 for tapping is a machining center dedicated command, the same as G90 on a mill is absolute and on a lathe a canned cycle.

G88 is the side rigid tapping cycle, but I see in one of your previous post that you tried that with M04 and got CCW in and out.

You could try setting bit 2 of parameter of 5205. With this bit set the rotation of the tool returning from the bottom of the hole will be CW, but there is a warning that if rigid tapping is to be used then this bit should not be set, as damage to the tap, work piece, or machine may result. However, I believe that this warning is given on the basis that a CW rotation on the way in was expected. Try this parameter change with the G88 cycle, as this cycle is definitely designed fro side tapping, and use M04 as you had before. If this works, I'm fairly sure that a User Macro could be written to change this parameter on the fly. Accordingly, store this and call it with a user defined M code any time you need to use it. Probably getting ahead of ourselves with that last comment; see if the G88 with parameter change works first.

Regards,

Bill
    Changing bit 2 of parameter 5205 had no affect.
    G00 X800 Z100 T0101
    M80 S2000 / M4 S2000
    G88 X750 R1 F2.5 F2.5 M11 C0

M4 S2000 would make it go CCW and CCW out.
    BTW how do i get it to understand S200 instead of S2000? The ekstra 0 is confusing somethimes

Each MTB seems to have their own way of handling this process.

The brand we sell uses the following method:

RIGID TAP (LIVE TOOL-ANGLED)
    G97S100;
    M28;
    G0X?Z?;
    G28C0.;
    G0C?;
    M95;
    M9?(M91-RH/M92-LH);
    M29S?;
    G88X?F?;

As for the speed problem, I suspect that the X10 problem is as a result of the drive ratio for the live tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozemale6t9 View Post
    Each MTB seems to have their own way of handling this process.

The brand we sell uses the following method:

RIGID TAP (LIVE TOOL-ANGLED)
    G97S100;
    M28;
    G0X?Z?;
    G28C0.;
    G0C?;
    M95;
    M9?(M91-RH/M92-LH);
    M29S?;
    G88X?F?;

As for the speed problem, I suspect that the X10 problem is as a result of the drive ratio for the live tooling.
    No affect trying that, it didn't understand M91, or M95.
    Speed problem is on everything, turning, milling, drilling, tapping, cutting speed. Should be a quick fix.

Out of suggestions on this problem?

Page 1 of 2 12