586,103 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is Pro V.16 worth it

I see that this area does not get much traffic. Not sure I will get an answer to this question.

I just reloaded my old 9.2 version of Turbo CAD. I spent 30 minute trying to make a block with 3 small cut outs in the edge. Still could not find the button to erase the connecting line. It looks like it will do a lot, yet it also looks like a steep learning curve.

I tried Sketchup for the first time and did the same block in about 5 minutes. Sketchup is easy to use but when it came to some angles I was trying, I had problems with it.

So if I get the newer version of TurboCAD, is it worth the money? Is it easier to use then the old 9.2?

Thanks for any help.

Buzz

Like any software, there are learning curves. I have TC Pro 11.2, and I just got Pro 17. Between the two, the interface is pretty much the same (CADCOURSE Interface), but there are lots of new tools. I only have the CAM plug in for 11.2, so anything that I want to port over using the CAM I do in 11.2 rather than 17. I find I can be more efficient using the Newfangled wizards for most simple stuff.

I also have DesignCad and that's the Cad system I started with. I find I can get stuff done quicker in DesignCad since I've used it more. I guess if I used TurboCad more I'd get quicker. But for hobby stuff, I don't really get much seat time doing Cad drawings.

If you do upgrade, invest in the Cadcourse CDs (not connected to Cadcourse) It will make the learning curve shorter, and you can always pop the CD in to review. There are a couple other good Turbocad tutorials out there too. It all depends on how much time you want to spend.

For upgrading, V11.2 is about the most stable. You can usually find older versions on Ebay for much less $$$. Get the Pro version as there is much more capability. If you get V15 or 16, you will most likely want the mechanical pac, and if you spring for V17, you will want the Pro Platinum for the mechanical functionality.

If you are a student ot teacher (or your kids are in school), they have a good educational discount

I can't comment on the usefulness of the upgrade, but I found a copy of TC14Pro with the CAM plug-in for $200 on eBay not too long ago. It worked well under XP and is not working ok under Win 7 32-bit with compatibility mode on, but would not work under Win7 64-bit very well. Lots of quirky failures even with UAC turned off. If you're going to upgrade, compatibility might be a consideration.

Ken

Thanks. I have been struggling with my 9.2 version. It does have a steep learning curve.

I was looking at the Turbo CAD 16
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/IMSI-00TCP516DC-TurboCAD-Pro-V16/dp/B00266PHDQ/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1288736584&sr=8-17]Amazon.com: TurboCAD Pro V16: Software[/ame]

Not sure if the "ULTIMATE" is that much better?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Turbocad-Pro-Ultimate-Solution/dp/B002E9HAP8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1288736584&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: Platinum Turbocad Pro 16 Ultimate 2D/3D Cad Solution: Software[/ame]

I was also looking at the tutorials

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/2D-Fundamental-Training-CD-TurboCAD/dp/B003XRUGS8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1288736584&sr=8-16]Amazon.com: 2D Fundamental Training CD for TurboCAD 16: Software: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

I will look into the Cadcourse CDs.

Thanks.

Buzz

turbocad v 16 professional

I am trying v 16 now so it is a bit early to tell yet. I have been using turbocad since v7. Sorry i do not understand your question but if you give me some more detail i will try done a few blogs now on tcad and I am trying out some screen capture software to do some tutorials here is the website turbo cad v 15 professional

I spent over 30 minutes trying to get a simple box with (3) pockets created. Yes I know super simple stuff. Yet I have no idea what I am doing in TC. I did the same box in sketchup in about 2 minutes.

I think TC has more power, more options, I also think it takes a lot more time to learn the basics.

I would like to know, if I spend the $200, $300 or even $400 on TC, would it be worth getting? Is it easier to learn the newer versions compared to the old 9.2 version. I went through the book that came with it. It is a very simplistic book. For the most part if you can get a box or circle on the screen, you have mastered what the book covers.

I have looked at the cadcourse CD's. That might be an option too. I know it is me and not the software, but I do not have the income or the time to take a full fledged course in CAD. I am sure it is relatively simple, after you know what you are doing.

Thanks.

Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by blvdbuzzar View Post
    I spent over 30 minutes trying to get a simple box with (3) pockets created. Yes I know super simple stuff. Yet I have no idea what I am doing in TC. I did the same box in sketchup in about 2 minutes.

I think TC has more power, more options, I also think it takes a lot more time to learn the basics.

I would like to know, if I spend the $200, $300 or even $400 on TC, would it be worth getting? Is it easier to learn the newer versions compared to the old 9.2 version. I went through the book that came with it. It is a very simplistic book. For the most part if you can get a box or circle on the screen, you have mastered what the book covers.

I have looked at the cadcourse CD's. That might be an option too. I know it is me and not the software, but I do not have the income or the time to take a full fledged course in CAD. I am sure it is relatively simple, after you know what you are doing.

Thanks.

Buzz.
    The easiest way to create a pocket is by 3d subtracting either a square or sphere or create a shape say from a poly line.
    After spending years tinkering with turbocad i found discipline in your drawing method is a must. v16 has the auto work plane option which is very easy to use.
    I use construction lines for everything now as it saves time when drawing.
    the keyboard short cuts are a must for any drawing in turbocad.
    I am not sure how far advanced you are but if you can picture a box.
    A. select the angular construction line and v snap it over one corner and the move the construction line over the opposite diagonally opposed corner and v snap again.
    B. do another angular construction line and v snap it to another corner and repeat it as above.
    You will now have cross hairs an one side of your box.
    Select the sphere from your 3d tools menu and place it over the centre of the cross hairs.
    c with the keyboard short cut the letter I the sphere will snap to the intersection point and will dynamically change size as you pull it with the mouse or input a size by the tab button.
    D because the spheres reference point is in the middle the sphere will be half in and half out of the box so if you now go to the 3d tools menu and select the 3d subtract tool and first select the box shape, now select the sphere and it will disappear leaving a hole in the box which will be half the size of the original sphere.
    You will now have what looks like the side of a dice which would represent the number one.
    Hope this helps but I am not all that good at teaching stuff.
    If you want my opinion i think it is worth learning but i never tried any other sort.
    One point about tcad is that the user interface never changes much but just adds to it with new gadgets.
    My last piece of advice is not to buy the tutorials until you have familiarised yourself with the user interface and this will take you many hours.
    lastly the user interface can be tailored to suit the tutorials which is a fairly simple process as you mentioned i think, the cadcourse user interface will alter your tool bars to suit the training.
    here is my welding theme turbocad blog http://weldingace.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the tips.

I am looking for a book, cd, dvd, youtube vid of some simple to task that show you how to use the features of tc. Something like a step by step tutorial of how to draw with it. The amount of buttons and what button does what can give you information overload.

I had enough trouble drawing a simple square without having to trim the lines. I tried it with the snap on and off. I just do not have the information I need to even get started.

Thanks.

Buzz.

Thank you for the tips.

I am looking for a book, cd, dvd, youtube vid of some simple to task that show you how to use the features of tc. Something like a step by step tutorial of how to draw with it. The amount of buttons and what button does what can give you information overload.

I had enough trouble drawing a simple square without having to trim the lines. I tried it with the snap on and off. I just do not have the information I need to even get started.

Thanks.

Buzz.
    Prepare yourself for the most frustrating thing you will ever do. I spent seven years learning turbocad not full time just tinkering with it. The utube vids are worse than useless .. ok if you have xray vision or super powers. When i bought the cad course essentials course i learnt it very fast but i knew where everything was after tinkering for so many years.
    All the information is in the help menu but this can overwhelm you.
    Snaps can be very confusing so turn the buggers of until you become more advanced. as i said using construction lines is one of the easiest ways to place things at a certain point. do not worry about the clutter off construction lines just turn them on and off via the text icon at the top left, to do this you must first select any part of the drawing with the select tool "slanted arrow " this also turns layers on and off. I have done some screen shots of creating a 3d shape from a 2d profile on the following blog page.
    warning you will get no help from any xxxxxr regarding turbocad. I know rob berry very well from cad course and he will sell you the stuff all day long thats the best you will get..don cheeke "Canada" is a really nice bloke and has helped me in little ways for years now I really wish there was a lot more i could do to help but the subject is so vast that all you can do is keep going...OOPS sorry i have not posted the 3d shape one yet it deals with opening a new drawing as a normal metric template
    the tutorial is here under screen shots http://wwwstugod.blogspot.com/:drowning:

Thank you for the tips.

Thanks.

Buzz.
    It just occurred to me if you are messing about trimming lines you are not using the keyboard short cut "v" using the the v button will snap your line to the vertex of the previous line ie the very end of it and no trimming should be needed.
    with the grid turned on try using the polyline tool and snap it on to the grid using the letter I ..or intersection point when your sqaure is ready to be joined ie your last line use the v to complete the square.. you must then click finished which is either a chequered flag "bottom right " or right click and select finish.