586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Drag knife for leather cutting?

I'm looking for a low cost way to approach CNC knife cutting for leather (sometimes quite thick, say 1/8", but often thinner).

I have seen drag knife bits for CNC routers, but they are designed for vinyl, and I'm assuming they wouldn't be able to handle thicker material.

Any suggestions? I would love to be able to avoid buying a special purpose machine for this task, would be great if I could use the same machine for other CNC needs, but I also want to avoid fighting the machine trying to make it do something it isn't designed to do well.

Trying to keep the budget under control, so innovative low cost approaches are appreciated...

-Jason

No way to cut leather on a plotter made for vinil, if you have or buy a plotter cutter with tangential osscilating knife and for holding the material on the table you need a vacuum pump (see for information Zund, Teseo, Comelz, Torielli.....these machines ar very expensive for home use, but you make an ideea how it works) I work in a shoes factory with Comelz (Italia) for cutting leather and other materials only 2-3mm thicness.

CUTCNC Guest
    our leather cutter can cut 3mm signle leather. it use osccillating knife to cut leather, as leather is flexible, you can not cut by drag knife. We are the manufacture in China, the price is much cheap than that of ZUND, Teseo, Comelz, etc. If you are interested in it. Contact directly.

"Somewhere" there is a script that processes HPGL files

That allows you to set the number of retraces the plotter/cutter will perform over the workpiece. This feature was designed to cut thicker material.
    I just saw it yesterday as I was browsing the string " HPGL cutter".

Of course I can not recall my history now.... Ahh Here it is http://pldaniels.com/dxf-hpgl/

It might be just the thing for you though.

cheers