586,036 active members*
3,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Drawing a chassis

Hey everyone. I am currently designing a new set of tvp for my hpi savage x. I have a cad of the tvp without all the holes that arent needed and I am going to print it off and draw a new design. the new design will be titanium flames winding around the holes need and across the mounting holes and joining up for strength at various points at the tip of the flames. I can do this by hand ok but I am still very new to cad and mostly do things for function not form. I was hoping that someone could do a cad drawing off my hand drawing ready to be cut.
    Thanks heaps.

If you start with a printed outline of the TVPs with the holes marked properly, then draw over that, you can just scan up your drawing and use a program like adobe illustrator, any Vectric software, or inkscape(free). Programs like these (there are tons of others) will have a "convert bitmap to vector" command that will digitize your hand drawing so that it can be imported into CAM software.

This will of course be an exact replica of your hand drawing, including imperfections. If you want to have perfectly straight lines and radii on the flames, you will have to find someone who's good at CAD design to start from scratch, or potentially just alter your hand drawing.
    JGRO Complete - G540, 380oz Nema23s, 1/2-10 ACME, 30"x14", Craftsman router
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

After thinking about it I think just drawin in cad would be best. Anyone good at drawing flames?
    Thanks.

Motas,

Please post a rough sketch of what you would like.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I can't right now no access to a computer. Google image savage xl tvp and you'll see what they look like. Baically I want flames going from front to back winding through mounting holes etc and around all the holes needed. I'll post a cad maybe tonight if I'm on the computer but I'm not well today.

I have attached a drawing of it. The red layer means you cant go past the red line and the green means it has to follow that line. Obviously all the holes have to be covered. It will either be made of 4mm titanium or high grade 4mm aluminium so shouldnt need to worry too much about strength and everything kinda joins it together with the other side which gives it alot of strength. If anyone could help me draw flames on that would be awesome and heaps of help.
    I will try and roughly draw the flames but I suck at drawing them by hand too so wont be very good.
    Thanks heaps for any help.
    PS if anyone is good with photoshop or something instead I could vector it without imperfections.

Sorry forgot to attatch it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyone? My attempt at doing them in cad failed. I suck at drawing flames. Is it even possible to make them look good? Also the red line arent set in stone you might be able to cut corners on some of them. That one in the middles a pain its nearly all full. Also green ones can be changed slightly but you definately cant cross them and have to follow for most of it.
    Thanks.

Motas,

The file you posted is not complete.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

That's the point

Motas,

The file you posted is blank when opened with Rhino, there may be a compatibility issue.

Your retort could be taken as slightly abrasive.

Jeff...

Sorry didnt realize there was nothing in it I thought you meant there was only a few lines. Have you tried zooming to extents or maybe it has the layers set to not visible. Also I have 2011 student verson of autocad. Would that matter?
    Thanks.

Motas,

Maybe saving the file in Autocad 10 DXF format would work better.

See attached image for Rhino screen shot with your file open.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Layers.jpg  

Annoying. How do I do that? I have attached 2 files. the pdf is for reference for layers if it worked. you have to at least follow most of green and avoid red but cutting corners on some parts are ok but I'll have to test it to know. The cad drawing is what I got sent which is the stock tvp. It is made in the old version and has extra holes and stuff for less weight.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Motas,

Success the DXF works,

Jeff...

Do you understand whats needed and whats not? Ill jst find a pic of the truck and some other tvp so you have a better idea.
    Thanks heaps.

Google Image Result for http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/kits/savagexl/img/savage_size_comparison.jpg
    The one on the left is the one I have the drawing for.
    Google Image Result for http://cart.rcbros.com/images/FLM45100.JPG
    Thats a lower centre of gravity tvp. If the middle hole for the gearbox is in the way you can move everything down so the bottom of the original drawing is level which is preffered but I dont know how to do it and not really necassary.
    Thanks again.

Exclamation

Motas,

Being able to slap on some flames does not make me a structural engineer.

See attached image.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flame Sample.jpg  

Thanks but thats kinda the opposite of what I wanted and there going backwards which I just realized I did too lol. Also It has a hole for the gearbox about in the middle which is the only major hole it needs I think.
    That way could work as plan b though it does look nice.
    Thanks heaps for your help that is waaay better looking than my attempt. How did you do that?

Lightbulb A basic sketch of what you want would really help.

Motas,

I am a jewelry designer by trade and work with CAD a lot.

A basic sketch of what you want would really help!

Have a most awesome evening,

Jeff...

Page 1 of 2 12