586,058 active members*
3,455 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hwacheon lathe chatter?

Hello, We received 2 used Hwacheon 400 lathes a few months ago. I am trying to get them going but I have the same issue with chatter in both machines. All of my chatter issues are at the tailstock end of parts. We've checked everything imaginable and can't seem to correct it. Here is some info on what I'm doing...

MACHINE #1)8620 mat'l 20" long 2" shaft with s/r and face driver. When turning 2 brg bands @ t-stock end we have chatter.

MACHINE #2) 4340 mat'l 30" long 4.5" shaft between chuck and center. tailstock end has mammoth chatter but from center into chuck cuts smooth.

We have tried 3 different centers and we've been all up and down on hydraulic pressures?

Any help would be appreciated....signed, frustrated!

Smile Hwacheon chatter at tail stock

The Hwacheon Hi-Tec 200 I have is 3 years old. A hobby machine with less than 100 hours. I am experiencing the same problem. I noticed the pressure gage drops to "Zero" when I let off of the pedal. The same for a programmed movement. That guide bar that moves with the ram is connected to a soleniod I have been told and is programmable though the parameters. I ended up fully retracting the ram and sliding the tailstock against the part and locking it down. I last used it over Labor Day weekend and had no one to contact. I forgot about it until I saw your post. We need to call Jim at Hwacheon at 847-573-0100. I will post the fix after I call Jim.

well, not saying this is solving anything but we found something this morning that is at least going to help us get this 1st batch of parts done. Originally we using left hand tool and spinning M4...All we did was flip a right handed tool upside down and spun the part in opposite direction and its cutting 90% better? Apparently moving the load of the heavy part was a big difference.

Hwacheon 400's

How are the Hwacheon 400's performing, could you tell us the specs and your all round opinion of the brand.
    Cheers