586,075 active members*
4,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

insider Jim Colt needed!!!!

Hello Mr Colt
    i was able to see a powermax 85 at a local welding supply store customer appreciation day and really like the new upgrades to the powermax line. i currently have a 1650 and would like to upgrade but do not want to loose my amps so is there going to be a new 1655? if so when? the hypertherm rep there said that the new style nozzle would get 30% more pierces than the current ones. so that just means more money to be made if that is a true statement and not just a sales man making a sale. while i have your attention why is it in my 1650 manual does it have some of the 40 amp consumables with a 25 amp speed chart? does the machine actually go to 25 amps or all i can see is the 30 amp setting on it?

thanks for your time and expertise
    bakerj99

There is not a replacement for the Powermax1650 in the works, at least in the foreseeable future. The 1650 is still the strogest plasma system performer in its class, and will continue to be for quite some time.

The new Powermax 65/85 torches are being validated for use on the older Powermax1000 and 1250 systems, and will be available as retrofit for these systems late in January. By putting these new technology torches on the older 1000 and 1250 systems, you will gain some, but not all of the benefits that the new 65/85 systems provide. We are also testing the Powermax85 torch as a replacement for the Powermax1650, however there is no planned release date for that configuration.

The 1650 will go as low as 25 Amps output if the amperage knob is turned fully counterclockwise. This amperage setting is good if you are using the FineCut consumables on very thin gauge materials.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by bakerj99 View Post
    Hello Mr Colt
    i was able to see a powermax 85 at a local welding supply store customer appreciation day and really like the new upgrades to the powermax line. i currently have a 1650 and would like to upgrade but do not want to loose my amps so is there going to be a new 1655? if so when? the hypertherm rep there said that the new style nozzle would get 30% more pierces than the current ones. so that just means more money to be made if that is a true statement and not just a sales man making a sale. while i have your attention why is it in my 1650 manual does it have some of the 40 amp consumables with a 25 amp speed chart? does the machine actually go to 25 amps or all i can see is the 30 amp setting on it?

thanks for your time and expertise
    bakerj99