586,590 active members*
2,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

IGES Importer for Blender

Hi all.

Recently, we have implemented own IGES importer to Rhonoceros with help of OpenNURBS. I know that Rhinoceros already has the ability to import IGES-files. We just want to create own converter between various geometrical formats. Base storage was chosen as the Rhinoceros OpenNURBS already exists and has proved popular.

Now we want to assess the necessary to convert data from IGES to Blender3d. Does it make sense to develop such a converter? I know that such importer has for 3DMax ( http://www.3dmax-tutorials.com/IGES_...ort_Table.html ), and judging by the list provided, we can realize more substantial importer for Blender3d.

So, I will like to ask readers of this forum - what do you think, does it make sense to implement the ability to import data from IGES / STEP / X_T / SAT files Blender3d?

Thank you.

IGES Importer for Blender

I would like to import *.iges files to Blender. Is the development of a solution the only option or is it possible now by any other means? Thanks.

Hi fmsquires.

Blender operate by surface-mesh, and IGES operate(in general) Geometry-surfaces(trimmed NURBS, analitical surfaces), SOLID-BRep. So directly import of Geometry surfaces from IGES to Blender could not be realized.

But principally, you could remesh geometry from IGES before import it to Blender.
    Sure, today users could remesh IGES in some CAD-system, export mesh and import mesh to Blender. But I think that this way will be uncomfortable.

We could write automatic remesher of the geometry from IGES-files during the importing IGES to Blender3d. This idea I'm trying to determine - has is it sense?

Thanks.