586,123 active members*
3,263 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Need Advice on a Desktop Mill

Need Advice on a Desktop Mill

Found this online and was wondering how it does . Haven't found any vids on it yet can you help me on that ?

Micromill DSLS 3000 CNC Mill with 4th axis rotary table & adjustable tailstock. (see description @ microproto.com) Complete system like new (used 10 hours) includes xtra collets, numerous end mills, table clamp, clamping blocks, fly cutter, cut-off blade, power supply/controller, manual, software (computer not incl), 2 drill chucks, collet wrench, etc. $3000 .

My purpose for getting it is I need education in 3D machining . Was wondering how it would work . I have access to Matercam9,10,x4 .

seems like an ok deal, but that is a very small mill...that size is capable of some good results under the right conditions but they take very light cuts... For $3000 you could have a much bigger mill if you dont mind CNCing it yourself. checkout G0704 Drill/Mill with Stand to see the G0704, or you could go the x2 route from any of the numerous dealers around. on the G0704 $1000 or so will cover the parts to cnc it.

just depends on what you will want to do after you complete your 3d milling education...
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mwood3 View Post
    seems like an ok deal, but that is a very small mill...that size is capable of some good results under the right conditions but they take very light cuts... For $3000 you could have a much bigger mill if you dont mind CNCing it yourself. checkout G0704 Drill/Mill with Stand to see the G0704, or you could go the x2 route from any of the numerous dealers around. on the G0704 $1000 or so will cover the parts to cnc it.

just depends on what you will want to do after you complete your 3d milling education...
    I thought about building one but haven't done the research . Guess I have to pick a machine first . Is all this 'turn key' to convert the grizzly ? Or do you have to make mounts and brackets for the conversion ?

I do want to be able to cut aluminum but the educational part I will use foam or wood .

Quote Originally Posted by LatheMaster View Post
    I thought about building one but haven't done the research . Guess I have to pick a machine first . Is all this 'turn key' to convert the grizzly ? Or do you have to make mounts and brackets for the conversion ?

I do want to be able to cut aluminum but the educational part I will use foam or wood .
    Its not at all turn key for the price I quoted you...you will have to source all the parts yourself and machine the mounts, spacers, and standoffs, im going through the same thing right now.
    check out this thread for some very good information on the G0704 conversion:http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...sss_g0704.html

If you do go with Hoss he can provide you the plans and give you links and info to all the parts you will need. He is also most helpful in any questions you might need He does charge for the plans but I think you will find it is a very modest price for all you get in tech support from him.

Check here also it is Hoss's G0704 site...look in his store for plan pricing:g0704.com
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LatheMaster View Post
    Is all this 'turn key' to convert the grizzly?
    None of this is really turnkey. One thing I don't like about the MicroProto is that it doesn't seem to have home switches (I may be wrong, I didn't see them anywhere though?). You can add them, but if I was paying $3k I want a machine with everything like that done for me and wired up. I'd much sooner step up to ~$3700 for the LittleMachineShop KX-1 mill:

LittleMachineShop.com - Milling Machine CNC

This has, IMHO, a significantly stouter frame than the Taig (which the Microproto is based on) and a lot of desireable things like home & limit switches, one-shot lube, and ball screws. The Taig has servos, but on a mill this size, that's an extravagance.

My point about the nothing being really turnkey is that whether it's the mechanics, the control software, or the CAD/CAM stuff, there's tons of stuff you're going to have to work through for yourself to really get things to sing. The Tormach mills seem to be about the cheapest that give you a "Insert tab A into slot B" experience through getting the basic machine up and running.

Just wanted to add that the Taig MicroProto DSLS3000 does not have home switches (as you mentioned) nor does it have servos, those are steppers using encoders which gives a "sort-of" servo type setup. The system will not "catch up" to itself, it will just stop all motion and throw a reset if it loses steps.

It's a good machine, but with the Gecko G540 available at it's low price, The Microproto is actually outdated and overpriced if you ask me.

Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    Just wanted to add that the Taig MicroProto DSLS3000 does not have home switches (as you mentioned) nor does it have servos, those are steppers using encoders which gives a "sort-of" servo type setup. The system will not "catch up" to itself, it will just stop all motion and throw a reset if it loses steps.

It's a good machine, but with the Gecko G540 available at it's low price, The Microproto is actually outdated and overpriced if you ask me.

Dave
    I gave up on the MicroProto . I asked for vids or pics of parts made on the machine and the guy wouldnt get back to me like I was a hassel or something . He wouldnt answer several other questions and then he took it off craigslist . Seems like its for the better .

I have the skills to build one and thats what I need to do . I just dont have the knowledge but thats what this site is for and all you guru's that have done it . I am hoping my weekend shift will last thru next spring . I was going to take some electronics classes for kicks and giggles and maybe a career change later on . It would help in the building of a machine to have some of these classes and to understand better how everything works .

I like the Grizzly go704 but it is somewhat big for my needs . The LittleMachineshop looks cool but is really pricey . But then again it is turnkey .

I do want speed and descent torque on the motors . Has anyone done a successful conversion on any other manuals a little smaller than the 704 ? I like the fact that the conversions I have seen on the 704 are using motors with 500-600oz torque . Where the microproto is only at 200oz .

Keep in mind that the Taig has 20-pitch screws, so the amount of thrust you get from 200oz motors is pretty high. A well-adjusted, well-aligned setup doesn't need very much thrust and in most cases the thrust needed to cut metal is only a little more than what's needed to move the table.

I think a lot of the torque that's out there is being used to overcome either poor manufacturing of the machine (tight gibs making up for sloppy ways) or poor setup and alignment of the lead screws and bearing blocks. I know that on my X2, I only use the full thrust of the motors in the last 1/2" or so of travel. I tried last night and found that I could double my safe rapid speed if I stayed away from those edges, and nearly triple it if I stayed in the center 3" where everything was just right. As it is I don't feel like spending another 10-20 hours trying to fix it as it works fine for my needs where it is right now.

You should be able to build a very good mill for under $3000 even up to the G0704 size if you're careful. Smaller will be even easier. I have ~$2000 in my X2 and that includes ball screws, a power drawbar and Gecko drivers. I don't feel like I cut many corners in terms of capability.