586,082 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question 3 axis, spinning base?

I am not sure if it is possible, without programming modification, but I will ask all the same...

I want to build a 3-axis setup, Z and Y being linear, but X as a full rotation, like a pottery wheel. (Partially to reduce desk-top space, and partially for the 1/2 axis gained. The 1/2 being the ability to lathe more easily on the Z axis, with a disk-sander.)

Not that I want to make pottery with this thing, but that was the only way I know how to describe it. I still want the ability to draw lines, squares and 3D, not just Spirograph circular art, without having to add a fourth axis.

I imagine the programming would be similar to a CNC Lathe, except this works on the vertical. (On a lathe, you would not attempt to carve on the flat ends where the wood is mounted.)

When I say, "Saving desk space", I am talking about a 2' diameter circle inside a 2'x2' square. My only motion will be the rotation, the height of the tool, and the reach towards the center of the rotating platform. (Or reaching out to the edges, if I set my zero at the center.) As opposed to a whole traveling suspension bridge rig, or full floor traveling surface table. I could also rotate the tool, and get true lathe ability, if desired.

If this can be one, I would have the setup built for roughly 1000 steps per inch, at the outter edges, giving me billions of steps per inch at the center of rotation. (Not that it would have to step through all the steps at the center. I hope the program would isolate that part, and do a lot of jumping around or short-stepping in that area. Unless I wanted to create nano-art.)

That would be called a non-trivial machine. Emc can do it with kinematics.

EMC Documentation Wiki: Kinematics

You would create a kinematic file that translates the machine and part coordinates. (it takes a bit of understanding of emc and programming)

sam

Wow, what a read. Essentially, you are saying that this should be thought of more like a robot-mill, as opposed to a "3-axis cnc", since it does not follow the linear X,Y,Z setup.

Perhaps I will hold-off on that project until after I get my first classic CNC built.

I can always use that CNC to build the other CNC. (Well, some of it.)

Thank-you for the quick response, now I have to post another topic, for the replacement CNC I have to build first. LOL.