586,123 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Software Error???

Last night I had some problems with our TM-2.

I probed the Z axis and got a value of 11.500 . Then I manually went in and moved the G54 offset in the offset screen for X & Y (moved them 2.0" each way).

Then I moved the probe to the new z zero point. The G54 was still indicating the original offset but the offset in the offset window had the correct numbers in it.

So I decided to test the code I had. Set the Z up 3" and let it run. The offset for the x&y was incorrect and the Z was off also.

After this I re-probed the Z and got a value of 18.xxx. I then probed a corner of a 123 block and got the x&y offsets to update.

I'm calling haas after lunch about this. Could be a serious issue if I had not double checked everything.

Tim

I haven't called Haas on this one but, I found a similar, very serious bug in our SL-20. It only happens if I update the work offsets screen, without being in Hand Jog mode.

What happened is I was running a short sequence of similar, thin parts. I programmed the machine to stop at the face where it just parted off. I would immediately press Offset, then Z-Face-Measure, without going into Hand Jog. It loaded some insanely wrong number (like a FOOT off!).

The other stupid thing is that it didn't just mess up the Z offset. It also loaded numbers into the X and B axis registers. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Fortunately, the error was in the positive direction and I got a Z overtravel alarm when I tried to run the program. If I remember to go to Hand Jog first, there is no problem.

I'm wondering if your problem might be related. Were you in Hand Jog mode before altering the offsets? What vintage is your control? Is it the newfangled user interface on the 15" monitor? Man, this software has been really flaky on all three of our new machines, compared to my 2004 VF-2.
    Greg

Would this have anything to do with the absolute position not being updated unless the G54 is recalled, or the reset button pressed, after setting the G54 offset?

I talked to apps at lunch. I'm not at the machine, and don't know the SN so I can't do much with them.

I'm not sure if I was in hand jog mode or not.

I had the problem with the probe checking Z (which I did not know about till after I found the XY).

I do know I followed these steps:

1. Probed my Z offset.

2. Shifted my X and Y offsets in G54 through the offsets page.

3. Shifted Z +3.0" to check some clearances.

4. Loaded program, hit cycle start.

5. Z height was off by about 6" (good thing it was too high!).

6. X and Y offsets were unchanged. It had the correct numbers in the offset page on the G54 line.

Tim

OK, so you probed the part (ran a program), THEN changed some offset values. If you didn't make it a point to be in Hand Jog mode, it sounds like you could have recreated the same problem I had on the lathe.

We're busy right now but, I might try to recreate a similar problem later on our VF-5.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    OK, so you probed the part (ran a program), THEN changed some offset values. If you didn't make it a point to be in Hand Jog mode, it sounds like you could have recreated the same problem I had on the lathe.

We're busy right now but, I might try to recreate a similar problem later on our VF-5.

But when I probed the part the results of that program were incorrect also.