586,094 active members*
4,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Electrical Gremlin Please Help
Page 1 of 2 12

Electrical Gremlin Please Help

Ok, so i picked up a 1990 VF-1 that was broken thinking it would be an easy board swap to fix it , The original problem was the x axis cable shorted out due to the cable being worn, The guy i bought it from put a new cable in it and changed the servo drive card but hooked it up wrong some how. This somehow blew out the monitor and motif and this is when i bought it. Currently I have a problem with the z channel on x & z axis dropping and i believe it is due to interference as when the spindle is on or any of the axises move there is fuzz or snow across the screen. I have replaced the video card, motif and processor (upgraded to newer 1996 specs with 8.31 software). The haas tech has been out here four times changing complete motor assembly's, I/O Board, Servo drive cards, Video Cable, Ran many different grounds all over the cabinet with no change, changed the rectifiers, I have checked the output of all the connections from the low voltage power supply and all are as they should. Now since the processor upgrade i get a ground fault detected alarm and a 112 no interrupt alarm. But if i put the old processor back in the new alarms do not come up, But that processor has memory issues. Sorry for the long story i just dont know where to look anymore and the haas repair center has since given up on my machine. Please help i need to fix this machine.
    Thanks

OK - the fuzz on the screen when the spindle is running is happening because the monitor has been replaced with a new style one. Haas do a replacement cable that will stop this from happening but I am pretty certain that other than fuzz on the screen it will not cause axes problems. It is definately worth getting the cable though - I will try to get you a Haas part number for this.

Can you explain to me a bit better what is happening with your x and z axes? Is the Z axis dropping? What alarms do you get? Do you get x axis z channel alarms and do you get z axis z channel alarms? how often do you get these alarms? will the x or z axes move or run at all? does the y axis work ok?

The ground fault detect alarm is probably just beacause the software is different to what you had before. What software did you have before? The ground fault alarm can just be turned off - since we already know there is not a ground fault.

The 'no interrupt' alarm is a tricky one. Sounds like a problem with low volt power. How often do you get no interrupt alarm or does it not reset? To possibly fix 'no interupt' - try this:
    Locate the power distribution PCB
    It is top right side of electrical cabinet
    It has around 3 circuit breakers on it including 'coolant' 'main transformer'
    Once you have located this PCB (and with machine powered off)
    Unplug each plug and then plug it back in - do this three or four times on each plug. Only do this with plugs on the left side of the PCB. You can do it with all plugs if you like - but the issue is probably with one of the plugs on the left side. The reason for doing this is the pins in the plug are not contacting properly due to oxidation or just weak spring in the plug.

Hope this helps

Haas man Thanks for the reply!!
    i disabled the ground fault detector i had software series 1 before lol.
    the z channel alarms i get are 140,141,142 and also 153,154,155 The y axis will move about 6 to 12 inches before alarming out and the x and z only go about an inch. if i disable the z channel i have no problems but still has the fuzz. as for the 112 alarm i changed the video card this morning to my old one which isnt really compatable with it but it will go 15-20 minutes before that alarm shows up instead of less than a minute. So i am thinking it is the video card? just need a new correct one hopefully. as for the pcb i dont have any plugs to unplug there all screw on connectors, i have the really old setup the power supply looks identical to the power supply of a computer like and atx case. any other ideas i had the same problem with the old processor dropping the z channel. could the main transformer be causing this? is there a way to check it without just buying a new one?
    Thanks Again for all your help

I'm nearly certain that all your axis alarms are due to parameters being set incorrectly.
    what are parameters 12, 26 and 40 set to?

All three are at 8000. hopefully this is the problem?

try setting all of them to 4000 instead. Let me know how it goes.

instantly get z channel missing.

after changing the parameters - turn off the machine - then try again.

same thing

am certain that your problem lies with parameters. You would have to be very unlucky to have a problem with all three axes at the same time. If you put the original processor back in - do you still get x y and z alarms to do with z channel?

Also - you say that the service Haas tech fitted complete motor and cables? Are the new motors and cables still on the machine? or do you still have original motors and cables on the mahcine?

yea i get the same errors with the old processor. i was changing the processor in hopes of fixing this issue and since it had memory issue i figured that it had to be the problem.

you said you disabled the z channel? on x y and z? what happend? Did all axes run perfectly? or were there any problems e.g axis not moving correct distance etc

I have them disabled now and everything seems to work fine i.e goes the correct commanded distance and jogs properly.

If axes work with z channel turned off then you should probably run like that. With the fuzz on the screen I will get you a Haas part number for the cable. The no interupt fault : you say there are definately no plugs on that PCB - thats strange. Is the power supply a pcb mounted underneith the power distribution pcb - i.e no need for cables because the two PCBs are 'joined' together? Or is the power supply a grey box with a bunch of cables coming out of it? Where exactly does motif - video and processor get their power from? the power cable is at bottom Right side of all three pcbs. It is probably the power distribution pcb. If it is then do what I said with the plugs - plug in and remove a few times. If power does not come from power dist pcb then does it come direct from power supply?

here is a pic of my power supply. thanks again for your help. i just tried the tool changer and i get 317 alarm? i think this is in the parameters but i have no clue where to start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0101.jpg  

Alarm 317 is Y axis overtravel? the Y axis should not even be moving during a tool change? Please confirm 317 y axis overtravel alarm during tool change?

Your machine is one of the very early Haas's - to be honest I have not seen one as old as this. What is the serial number?

Can you back up your parameters? via RS232 or floppy? probably the machine does not have a Floppy drive? If possible I would like you to post a copy of your parameters so I can have a look through.

I got everything working now except for the z channel`s on all axises. I am thinking it could be the new motif? the 317 alarm was a parameter issue. The current parameters are loaded from the 8.31 software with debug then "init1" for vf1. everything seems to work as they should except for and z channel and the fuzz on the screen. serial number is like 1100 something cant remember. i do not know how to back up the parameters is there a way you could walk me through this via rs232? Thanks Again for all your help!

It definately souinds like you have parameter problems and I think this will be causing your z channel problems - not the new motif. When you initialised the software parameters were automatically loaded to suit a machine roughly 3 -4 years newer than yours. This means that many parameters could be and probably are wrong. Do you have RS232 connected and working for sending programs?
    If you do then this is how to back up your parameters and settings.
    Using the file transfer software on your PC - set the Pc so it is ready to receive a file.
    Press 'LIST PROGRAM' button
    press 'PARAM/DGNS' Button
    press 'SEND RS232' button

Your PC should have received parameters

Press 'LIST PROGRAM' button
    press 'SET/GRAPH' Button
    press 'SEND RS232' button

If you do not have RS232 set up then maybe I could get you some information on it - or maybe I could try to get you a parameter listing from somewhere.

I've been reading this forum for quite some time and I think this is the first time I've heard of the "Z channel". What is it and what is its function?
    Thanks,
    Ralph

Page 1 of 2 12