586,112 active members*
3,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Z Zero Procedure

Hi all I have a problem that I am sure I am just doing something stupid. I have a cnc mill at home running on Mach3. Been using that for a couple years. We recently got a Tormach at work and I have been struggling with setting the Z zero on the first tool in a program. Here is my procedure, please tell me what I am doing wrong.

1 Reference machine
    2 Edge find X and Y zero DRO's for these 2
    3 Load program
    4 Load 1st tool that the program will call for
    5 Make sure the right tool number is in the tool# box
    6 Move tool to top of part and zero the Z Dro
    7 Move z up to safe distance
    8 Press Cycle Start

When the program starts, z is never at zero it is always either above or below where I set it to begin with, and the DRO #'s have changed also. If I hit cycle stop and when the movement starts I hit pause. Then set the z zero then it works, but I do not think I should have to do that?

I do not know what I am doing wrong as I use this procedure on the mill at home everyday and never have this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Walt

Hello Walt,

Try this order. Its pretty much the one I use except that at 2 use a 3D tester and use its number at step 3 and then load the tool I need after cycle start. 4&5 are interchangeable.

1 Reference machine
    2 Load 1st tool that the program will call for
    3 Make sure the right tool number is in the tool# box
    4 Move tool to top of part and zero the Z Dro
    5 Edge find X and Y zero DRO's for these 2
    6 Move z up to safe distance
    7 Load program
    8 Press Cycle Start

My impression (can't say 100%) is the when a program load the offsets are calculated.

Christian

This was found on youtube

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8apTgMTvjI"]YouTube - How to Change Tools in Mach3 CNC - Part 1[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cM32grBMvo&feature=related"]YouTube - How to Change Tools in Mach3 CNC - Part 2[/nomedia]

Hope this help

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by wdp67 View Post
    Hi all I have a problem that I am sure I am just doing something stupid. I have a cnc mill at home running on Mach3. Been using that for a couple years. We recently got a Tormach at work and I have been struggling with setting the Z zero on the first tool in a program. Here is my procedure, please tell me what I am doing wrong.

1 Reference machine
    2 Edge find X and Y zero DRO's for these 2
    3 Load program
    4 Load 1st tool that the program will call for
    5 Make sure the right tool number is in the tool# box
    6 Move tool to top of part and zero the Z Dro
    7 Move z up to safe distance
    8 Press Cycle Start

When the program starts, z is never at zero it is always either above or below where I set it to begin with, and the DRO #'s have changed also. If I hit cycle stop and when the movement starts I hit pause. Then set the z zero then it works, but I do not think I should have to do that?

I do not know what I am doing wrong as I use this procedure on the mill at home everyday and never have this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Walt
    when you zero the dro it does not change the tool offset value

it sounds like you have a value in tool 1 offset

when setting up for a part ,when you are setting "Z" do this :

1) use a tooling ball to set the part zero ( if mach3 lets you set "z" with no tool active your ok at this point)
    if you have to call a tool active make sure there is no value in that tool offset)

2)set your tool offsets from the tooling ball
    1) using a block or a dial indicator ,bring the ball down to a the block or indicator
    2) record the "Z" value
    3) repeat step 1 and 2 for each tool
    4) subtract the recorded "z" value for the tool from the recorded "Z" value from the ball , this will be your tool offset

if the tool is longer then the ball the value will be "+"
    if the tool is shorter then the ball the value will be "-"

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INSRHI

I have watched those video's numerous times and can not see where I am doing anything different. In the video he uses a touch off tool as tool one, but he does fill out the offset in the tool table. Is there a way to turn the offset off and on?

I really appreciate everyones help!

Walt

When you zero out your tool make sure it's the correct tool... Oh and don't forget to hit enter.

I go thru the following

- Ref mill
    - load program
    - zero out Z with a indicator or now with my probe
    - I insert tool 3 which is a .125 chamfer to find the X & Y center. I use a caliper and measure both sides, then split that number in half and I etch a small line into the stock both X & Y direction making an X. As soon as I locate the position I then jog it up a bit (also make sure when setting either the Z X & Y that your tool is the correct tool in the tool box.)
    - hit cycle start
    - change to the tool that's called on

"When the program starts, z is never at zero it is always either above or below where I set it to begin with, and the DRO #'s have changed also. If I hit cycle stop and when the movement starts I hit pause. Then set the z zero then it works, but I do not think I should have to do that?
    "

This really sounds like you're not using the correct tool when setting the Z X Y. Double, triple check the tool when setting these to make sure it's correct. Now I've had a few problems before with this same issue and made sure I was using the correct tool number when setting, couldn't figure out why and restarted the program. Everything worked perfect after that.

Are you sure the same work coordinate system (G54-G59) is used?

Don

Walt,

Are you using the NewFangled Solutions Wizards by any chance? I normally use G-code produced by SprutCAM and never have a problem with that but just had the same issue with tool zero while using the NFS square rectangle wizard. Updating to the newest reease (2.83?) seemed to fix it.

I seem to remember a problem on older versions of the wizards with the Tormach mill and version of Mach3 that it uses.

Mike

I am using Bobcad to produce the code for this particular situation, just got the mill so have not played with Sprutcam much. Anyways I locate the x and y zero with an edge finder. I then load the first tool that the program calls for enter the correct number in the box hit enter and then touch it off. I do not have a probe or a touch tool that Tormach sells.

This is the exact same procedure I use on my self converted mill at home. It also runs on Mach3 but I do not have this issue. I have also tried loading the program then using the MDI typed in M06 T# G43 T# that did not make any difference either. I think somehow I need to turn the offset off or something first, but i do not know.

I am not using any of the wizards at this time
    Walt

just a shot in the dark , look and see what the z backlash comp is set at

if your calling the tool up and then setting "Z" it should work , at least for that tool

sounds like a parameter is set wrong in the control

It is how it is setup straight from Tormach. I can not find anywhere to change the backlash.

Walt

Remember once I start and stop the program, and reset z everything works right including tool changes. it is only the original 1st tool setting that does not work.

Walt

"it is only the original 1st tool setting that does not work."

Ok Walt I just tried putting a value in my T1 Height slot (TTS indicator) and yes you're right it doesn't work. It takes the next tool value and goes into the work with it.

I also tried zeroing out T0 just to see what happens, the tool moves up not down. Now that you brought this up, I forgot I switched everything to T2 and on back 5 months or so ago. I don't have the time to fiddle with it right now, but I'm thinking something isn't set properly. If you're in a pinch, just move everything to T2 for now.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

A great feature to add to the tool table that I'd love to see, is add or move columns down option. I'm always switching tools in and out, this would be awesome if possible.

I had a similar problem when I first got my machine. I was manually editing the code in the program and changing the tool number that was set by the CAM software. I would for example change "T3" to "T1". I was not however changing the "H" value to match. The "T" parameter sets the tool number being used but the "H" parameter sets the tool offset from the tool table.

Zero

I set T0 x,y,z on the workpiece using a digital edge finder this is in the offsets screen. Don't forget to "apply" the changes.
    Then I have all my tools set on top of part or any Z zero for that matter, to do this touch tool on top of workpiece and then hit offset not Z zero.
    Run the machine.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

... I have also tried loading the program then using the MDI typed in M06 T# G43 T# that did not make any difference either. .....Walt
    Is this exacty what you typed?

then this might be your bug.

benji

No, # represents what ever tool number I needed ie 1,2,3

Walt

It is how it is setup straight from Tormach. I can not find anywhere to change the backlash.

Walt
    You have to sign a waiver at the Tormach office before you can use backlash comp.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

No, # represents what ever tool number I needed ie 1,2,3

Walt
    Try this:

T01 M06 G43 H01

That should comp the height for tool #01 in the MDI

Page 1 of 2 12