586,383 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help in Converting to 1 bit Bitmap

My lazer can only process 1 bit Bmp files, I use Photoshop to set up what I want, then convert to BitMap, that is where I strike problems!! The image or writing is ok until the Bitmap conversion, but after conversion to 1 bit Bitmap, my Script or image is no longer solid lines as I desire, usually has portions missing here and there, can be spotty etc. I have tried varied combinations in converting to Bitmap, such as Dither, halftone etc, some results are better than others, BUT what I really want is clear crisp letters or images without bits missing. Has anyone found a way around this problem, it has frustrated me for so long that I am at desperation point. Help me if you can I'm feeling down!!! Thanks, Amos

I'm a rookie, but I'll throw this out for whatever it's worth. I have only had slight experience doing this, but when I did it turned out nice and sharp.

First I ran the art through the scanner as BLACK AND WHITE, 1 bit, and adjusted the contrast and darkness to the sharpest setting using the scanner's custom settings. Then in Photoshop I selected 1 bit depth and black and white and highest quality and saved the file. The result was sharp, dark lines which I converted to vector prior to cutting. It's worth a try.

Thanks for your advice, I will give it a go and report back here on the results. Amos

I tried finding those settings on my scanner and there were no such options on my scanner. sorry, Amos

Take a look at a free program Paint.Net
    It has a function Effects -> Artistic -> Ink Sketch
    Set Coloring to 0 to have only black and white.
    Adjust Ink Outline to desired effect.

Seems to work goods on pictures. You may want to supply a sample of what you are trying to convert.

Program is free just google paint.net

George

Quote Originally Posted by woodenink View Post
    I tried finding those settings on my scanner and there were no such options on my scanner. sorry, Amos
    I have an HP scanjet 4400c, but other scanners are similair. What I do is make a preview scan, at which point it asks if you want advanced preferences. Click advanced and all the options are available.

It might be because I run my scanner through Photoshop that there are additional options, although I assumed they were always avaivable.