586,500 active members*
3,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Custom lead mold for fishing tackle

I am based in Houston and am looking for someone who can machine a mold for casting lead-headed fishing lures. This will be a relatively small, hand held mold with three cavities; each cavity will be a different size. This is a prototype mold. Once design has been finalized I will be ordering more molds. Any suggestions for machine shops with fishing tackle experience? Thanks for your help.

You don't really need a metal mold for casting lead

It melts at a low enough temperature to use a RTV silicone rubber mold, which isn't too hard to make yourself. If you're not going into production, it should last long enough for prototyping purposes. But don't actually hold it in your hand while casting - lead's plenty hot enough to burn you badly...

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by Bigredfish View Post
    I am based in Houston and am looking for someone who can machine a mold for casting lead-headed fishing lures. This will be a relatively small, hand held mold with three cavities; each cavity will be a different size. This is a prototype mold. Once design has been finalized I will be ordering more molds. Any suggestions for machine shops with fishing tackle experience? Thanks for your help.

Mold

Awerby: Thanks for the note. I appreciate the feedback. The early runs will likely be 1,00 pieces and I would prefer a metal mold. Although the lures are prototypes, they will be sold and speed is important. I have spoken to centrifugal casting companies and my design isn't feasible, hence the need to hand pour. I cant seem to find a machinists that can make my mold for me.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It melts at a low enough temperature to use a RTV silicone rubber mold, which isn't too hard to make yourself. If you're not going into production, it should last long enough for prototyping purposes. But don't actually hold it in your hand while casting - lead's plenty hot enough to burn you badly...

Andrew Werby[/url]
    Lead melts at 460*F. RTV handles this temperature without degrading? I've seen it used for plastics, but not for temperatures this high. As a kid I used to cast lead soldiers. My molds were made of steel. Wood works but will char and become unusable eventually. Tech has come a long way since my youth, but using rubber for a molten lead mold is a new one I'd approach cautiously.

Not every formulation of silicone rubber is suitable

And there will eventually be some degradation, especially in sharp "fins" of rubber that stick into the mold cavity. But this process has been in use for many years, and it does offer certain advantages. Here's a link to a supplier of high-temp silicone, good to well over 460F: Photo Gallery: Casting Pewter Into Mold Max® 60

Bigredfish - Do you have 3-D CAD models of the parts you want the mold made from? Most CNC machine shops don't have the scanning equipment that lets them start from a physical part, so that might be why you're having trouble finding someone to take on the job. If you do need a scan made, I might be able to help with that. And was that 100 or 1000 parts you planned to cast initially?

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    Lead melts at 460*F. RTV handles this temperature without degrading? I've seen it used for plastics, but not for temperatures this high. As a kid I used to cast lead soldiers. My molds were made of steel. Wood works but will char and become unusable eventually. Tech has come a long way since my youth, but using rubber for a molten lead mold is a new one I'd approach cautiously.

Have you considered making the mold from aluminum? Easy to machine and it should hold up for extended runs. You can also water cool the mold after each pour to reduce cycle time(like they do with plastic injection molds).

Greetings Bigred:

I haven't been a part of this forum very long but, I have noticed that inquiries like yours (and Mind) don't tend to get as many useful responses as we'd like.

That's not to say there aren't good folk on this forum with the answers we're looking for that are more than willing to help. It's just that it can take a long time for those individuals to stumble onto our posts. (if they ever do at all)

I build cast lead bullet mold for my own use. One of the reasons I joined this forum is because I eventually plan to step up to a CNC milling machine. I presently use manual benchtop machines so all of my builds take me longer than I'd like as well.

You might try asking your questions over on the Cast Boolits forum site. I'm a member there as well and I can just about guarantee you will get better results there with your inquiry.

There's alot of DIY mold makers there that may be able to help you. The only reason I don't offer to help is because I have to hold down a job that only allows me to work on my own projects if or when I have free time.

Generally that "Free Time" has already been allotted.

MetalShavings

Lead and worm molds were, up until the last few years, all sand cast and hand polished. Do you know a local patternmaker or possibly a foundry that can cast fine detail? These people can get you started the old school way.
    I can do it both cnc and manual but have a backlog thru Feb. 2011 .If you can wait that long send me a pm.

I can help you with any type lead mold application. Please visit me on the web at Do-it Mold Service, Custom Lead Molds, Custom Lures Jigs and Sinkers, Mold Company, Hillsborough, NJ Home.

Do you know a local patternmaker or possibly a foundry that can cast fine detail? These people can get you started the old school way.
    buy wow gold,cartier love bracelet,cartier trinity ring