586,116 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Cutting small parts in stainless steel

Cutting small parts in stainless steel

Hello,
    I am looking for the help to decide on cnc mill for cutting small parts in stainless steel. The parts will be 3/8 in length 1” wide and 3/8 thick and I need to make 2 radiused cuts into this bar approximately 0.71 in length and 0.20 wide and 0.20 deep .
    Is the cnc converted X3 will be able to do this job with the reasonable time like 15 minutes per part or I need to look for bigger size mill ?
    Thanks for the Help!

Can anybody shed some light on my question please?

Hi Iris, I need to mill 5mm deep cuts in 304 stainless
    so the 1mm only is not going to work...

Is anybody can help with my question please?

Quote Originally Posted by etur View Post
    Hi Iris, I need to mill 5mm deep cuts in 304 stainless
    so the 1mm only is not going to work...

Is anybody can help with my question please?
    take a look at a couple of these options...

the first is a G0704 followed by a link to Hoss's site that will help with the cnc conversion, a good bit of effert to get it up and going but at a very resonable cost for the end result...
    G0704 Drill/Mill with Stand

g0704.com

next is little machine shop machines much higher price tag but I think even the smallest one would acomplish what you need(dont quote me on that though)
    LittleMachineShop.com - CNC Machines: CNC Milling Machines

also you could also get an X2 from any of the many resellers out there and convert it over quite easily with a CNCfusion kit CNC Fusion Kit #4 is the premium kit
    and a G540 setup here Keling G540 setup which would be pretty much plug and play, or you could go a bit cheaper but a little more wiring hassle with one of the keling packages using keling drivers instead of the gecko drivers...alot more on the X2 here Hossmachine Homepage

hope this helps you out...btw I own the G0704 using the electronics Hoss recommends oh his G0704 site except I bought G201X drivers instead of the KL6050, so far im very impressed...Im just starting my CNC conversion.

5mm DOC in stainless is a pretty healthy cut so I would lean more towards the G0704 but you may still need to make a couple rough cut passes and a finish cut pass... I have not machined much stainless but from my experince is a pretty tough metal.
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Thank you mwood3 for response.
    I will definitely look at G0704 but the bolt-on kit for this mill is not available yet so I was looking to convert X3 instead … is this a big a difference for my application between G0704 and X3?
    Also you actually mentioned X2 so do you think cnc converted X3 will work for my purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by etur View Post
    Thank you mwood3 for response.
    I will definitely look at G0704 but the bolt-on kit for this mill is not available yet so I was looking to convert X3 instead … is this a big a difference for my application between G0704 and X3?
    Also you actually mentioned X2 so do you think cnc converted X3 will work for my purpose?
    should work... I have no experience with an X3 only what I have heard...From what I have read here they are quirky machines that will need a good bit of tuning to get right, from the examples I have seen posted on here My G0704 is a higher quality product (and out come the torch mobs (flame2) lol)

there is a fellow on this forum that goes by elik(or something very similar that offers a bolt on kit for the G0704) also cncfusion is coming out with one that is still in development.

The G0704 does have its issues also specificly the motor/controller right now...and they are on backorder from every one that carries them.

bottom line is you will most likely have some issue to work through with any chinese mill.

If you want something ready to go out of the box go with a Tormach Home | Tormach | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items but get your pocketbook ready they are pricey...

Well the Tormach is out of my price range and I am also interested to convert a mill to CNC by my self as a learning experience… Do you know if anyone sell bolt-in kit for lathemaste ZAY7045FG (RF45 clone) conversion? I cannot find any instruction on how to convert RF45 clone to CNC

There are several threads going on Rf-45 conversions and probably you could get some help from the authors. There are several variations though so yours may not be the same as thiers. Also note that generally RF-45s are done using servos and that is going to increase the conversion cost and complexity compared to the smaller stepper conversions. I suppose that one could do big steppers on the RF's but I assume also there is a reason you don't see it being done very often.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    There are several threads going on Rf-45 conversions and probably you could get some help from the authors. There are several variations though so yours may not be the same as thiers. Also note that generally RF-45s are done using servos and that is going to increase the conversion cost and complexity compared to the smaller stepper conversions. I suppose that one could do big steppers on the RF's but I assume also there is a reason you don't see it being done very often.

I believe the bigger steppers sacrifice a lot of speed... Im sure servos are the way to go... id bet with an RF45 you would look at 4k or so when all is said and done... as for the G0704(or any BF20 clone) it would be more like $1800-$2000....