586,036 active members*
3,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dimentioning?

Is it feasible to dimension the distance between extruded text letters so I can get an idea as to the smallest mill diameter needed. I have tried but cannot get it to dimension.

Thanks
    Ken

Ken,
    You will have to extract the edges of the extruded letters first.

You need to extract edges on any surface or solid to use verify, one ,two or dimension.

Then you can dimension them. Or use the tape measure funtion if you don't want to leave the dimesion info on the screen.

Tape measure uses end points, which will work on solids and surfaces. But sometimes end points are not what you need.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Ward,
    That little tid-bit of information has just answered many frustrations. Sometimes I could get OneCNC to dimension, sometimes I could not and never could figure out why, now I see it was just random luck if the surface/s were extracted or not and I never made the connection. Not a word of this in the "lack of help" manual that I could find, can you imagine that

Simulate

If I am creating toolpaths manually and want to know how things will look with a 1/16" cutter, I select the entities and increase the line size to .0625 using "Draw" "Manual Toolpaths" "Simulate".

Good for stick type fonts.

If the letters were projected surfaces, I would use the "Create NC Code from model", enter the tool size and finish by using "Simulate NC".

Thanks for the tip keithorr, it is a keeper.