586,389 active members*
2,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 6030 spiral ball screw cover

6030 spiral ball screw cover

Yesterday while jogging the machine I heard a crunching sound. On further inspection, I noticed the spiral ball screw cover was munched up. Can you replace this without breaking the ball screw loose? It seems like you should be able to just coil it around the ball screw. I realize that there is some tension as it seems to be made from spring steel. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

I took my screw and bearing block out to replace mine, because I did the support bearings at the same time. I think you coud do it with the screw still attached to the saddle. You would have to remove the nut from the screw that attaches it to the support bearings, then slide the saddle forward. You would have to remove the servo and coupling to do this. I wouldn't try unwinding the cover. Although you probably could get it off that way, you will never get it on. It is a coiled spring, it would also be very dangerous.

Yes, it is possible to replace the cover without removing the bearing mount from the ballscrew.
    One of the problems is the spring steel is very sharp, and the cover can be damaged during installation. If you do attempt replacing it yourself, wear a good pair of leather gloves. A helper would not be a bad idea either.

cover

I have done it several times,just uncoil it around the screw like you thought,just wear the gloves and what ever you do do not let go because the cover will be junk if uncoiled.if you decide to take the mount apart there is a fabric type one available that will also work.