586,655 active members*
4,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Newbie in need of CAM software for a Haas

Newbie in need of CAM software for a Haas

Hi all-

my company is looking at purchasing a Haas super mini mill. At this time we do stereolithography rapid prototyping, but want to open our options up on prototype materials for our customers. I will be the one learning to operate it. I am completely new when it comes to cnc. I have been looking at mastercam, solidcam, bobcam, and featurecam.

I also have and use solidworks 2011.

Any iput for a newbie? what cam package do you like/ dislike and why?
    Which ones are "simple" and tough to learn?

any input would be great.

thanks

Hi, no such thing as a "newbie" you have so much to offer, at least you are willing to look at alternatibe solutions. We suggest you look seriously at WorkNC, simple interface, fast calculations and more important reliable toolpaths that wont need you to select a "do not gouge" button, it just does it for you, all from 2D to full 5 axis. I have been using it since 1999 and have NEVER seen a gouge....we have many customers from all all sorts of industries. RP, Automotive, F1, Aerospace, Mould, Press, descrete manufacture (one offs), They would tell us if they had a single dink

Take a look at VisualMill

They have a version that works with native Solidworks file formats, and all their software comes with Haas postprocessors: MecSoft Corporation: CAD CAM Software | Computer Aided Design | Computer Aided Manufacturing

All CAM software will require some learning, but VisualMill isn't that difficult to figure out. It's also attractively priced and full-featured, compared to some of the other programs you mention below.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by purpony View Post
    Hi all-

my company is looking at purchasing a Haas super mini mill. At this time we do stereolithography rapid prototyping, but want to open our options up on prototype materials for our customers. I will be the one learning to operate it. I am completely new when it comes to cnc. I have been looking at mastercam, solidcam, bobcam, and featurecam.

I also have and use solidworks 2011.

Any iput for a newbie? what cam package do you like/ dislike and why?
    Which ones are "simple" and tough to learn?

any input would be great.

thanks

I would look in to the BobCAM plugin for SolidWorks. UNLESS you need to work from STL files, then go with BobCAD v24. I do many of the same things you mention (have a NextEngine scanner, Dimension printer, and a Mikini CNC Mill). I design almost exclusively in SolidWorks, but some of my customers supply me with STL files. I use both BobCAM and BobCAD depending on if I make the model or I get an STL.

Best of luck in your search, though. There is SO much to choose from and the prices are ALL over the map. If you get serious with BobCA-D/M, you can get a seat for under $800 regardless of the "list" or "sales" price - they are very negotiable!

I have been a user of Surfcam, Solidworks and Haas for a very long time so forgive me if I sound bias. From a business owners perspective, I would look for a CAM system that is as mainstream as I could get. Many times I have seen shops buy some no-name CAM system because the "guy/machinist/programmer" there at the time knew or heard of a particular system. Then the "guy" for whatever reason quits and moves on while the business is stuck with a bastard CAM system nobody else knows. So my advice is to look for the most common system in your neck of the woods.

A good way to figure out which system is more common to your area is to take a trip over to your local collage or trade school for machinists and see what they are teaching. One of the bigger JCs out here teaches all the machine shop students Surfcam. Mastercam is another common system that people seem to know. I guess after that, it's really a matter of finding a package that is right in both price and capability. A CAM system is nothing but a tool to do the job so look for the tool that is simple, capable and reputable with room to grow. Ask about the annual maintenance costs and what to expect if you let maintenance lapse a year or two, can you get back on and how much. Find out about tech support when you can’t figure out how to use a feature and hardware requirements. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but maybe others might express some points and things to ask as well.

Good Luck! :cheers: