586,058 active members*
4,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z Axis can't find home

We started our TL-3 lathe this morning and it can't find it's home position.Moves slowly looking for home it seems. With the machine on when you turn the z axis hand wheel it turns for a bit and then comes to a stop like I've hit a solid stop but with the machine off you can crank it all the way to the chuck and all the way to the tailstock with no problems.Could this be a limit or proximity switch? And where would they be located I don't see either anywhere.
    Thanks
    Dave

I believe you're looking for a proximity sensor and I believe it's on the back of the casting, on the back, right side (tailstock end). It should be pretty obvious.

From what has been posted here in the past, you probably have a wayward chip in there that's fooling the sensor.
    Greg

What alarm are you getting? You are correct in the location of the z axis home switch.

no alarm,it's just looking for home.It's going in the wrong direction too.It seems if I were to let it go it would hit the chuck.

I found the proximity sensor,on this machine (TL-3) it's located towards the back under the carriage (if you remove a cover between the bed casting it's a little easier to see) and the tab that makes contact with it is at the back right of the tailstock.Blew it out and that was the problem.Took 5 hours to find it 5 minutes to fix it.
    Thanks
    Dave