I may be wasting my time here but what the heck. I am surprised at how little activity there is in the area of 3d scanning. It sure seems to have some good applications, especially in CNC hobbyist machining. I think the verdict is still out on NextEngine and their scanner. I have really scoured the web looking for users that were both happy with the product and the company from a support point of view. Not much to see. The NextEngine website has the same info it did a year ago... not a good sign either. I am tired of the same old Jay Leno demo.

I know many people have played with the David Laser Scanner software and have mixed results. Too many variables from the type of camera, corner targets, laser color, intensity & focus, PC, etc. etc. I have had some good and bad results and don't care much for the fusion software in David. Meshlab seems to help but as mentioned is "crashy".

NextEngine looks like a good turnkey system but I would think it would be much more popular considering the price. So what's the hangup? Is the company support that bad? Are the scan results that poor? Is it worth waiting to see if someone can put together a scanner with the Microsoft Kinect? Are structured light scanners much better than what NextEngine can do? So many questions. So little information.