586,110 active members*
3,186 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Sodick Info

Sodick Info

I curently have an early 80's Makino EC3025. looking to upgrade.
    I have seen a 1997 Sodick A530D with EX21 Generator / control & a 1999Sodick A320D with Mark 25 Generator / control. Apart from size is there much difference in technology? Any thoughts or expeirences as well as places to research both machines would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Paul Deady

the EX25 control is the better of the two. EX25 controls are first generation for the dicharge units still used today. The latest controls are digital but the general boards are all still used.

We have two LN1 machines and we are getting a Mark25 next week. What is the biggest difference to program?

John

program will basically be the same. I am not sure if g141-142 will be an option with 4 axis programming. I think it is with mark25 but i am not 100%. The layout will be a very crude LN1 layout. Powersettings will be different. No auto tension so you will have to learn about bobbin tensions. No built in touchoff macros so you will have to either make some macros or use the ones that are supposed to be in it.

Sodickappsguy,
    Does the EX21 control have the ability to find the centre of a hole, corner of a block, centre of a groove etc..? Is the same avail on the Mark 25 control. I undrstand as well that the basic PC in the EX21 is an old config, if this fails parts are difficult to get and it is recomended that you replace with a modern pc and special software (expensive), Is this true. I have also been told that there would be very little difference in cutting speed or reliabilty between the two?
    Paul Deady

both the ex21 and mark 25 will have either macros on the disk or you can get them from me and or Sodick. You can use q statements to pull up the programs for pickup. Example is in MDI you can type qhole and hit the ENT button. That tells the machine to go to the disk and pull up program hole and execute it. You are correct about the PC in the ex21 control. They came with a Nec computer and can be changed to an IBM. Both computers are older style so even with the upgrage there isnt all the modern features that we enjoy today. Sodick has be thinking about building a new computer to interface with the older machines but it is an on again off again project. If you get either of the machines one of the first things you will want to do is either have the CPU boards sent off and have the batterys replaced on both of the boards or replace them yourself. If you decide to do them yourself make sure to get some paperwork on what jumpers to move while you replace the battery and make sure you have the correct system disk for the eeproms.
    If the battery goes on the 86 and 386 boards they cost about 1500-2000 per board and i have seen them bust and take out the I/O board next to it for another 1500.